Open Learning course registration will be unavailable due to maintenance this evening, October 6, from 5 to 6 p.m
Students establish or advance their understanding of research through critical exploration of
research design, data collection, and analysis. The language of research, ethical principles
and challenges, and the elements of the research process are examined. Students begin to
critically review literature relevant to the field of anesthesia and determine how research
findings are useful in informing their practice.
- Discuss research design and data collection methods.
- Discuss data analysis and interpretation.
- Describe the dissemination of health research information.
- Critically review literature relevant to the field of anesthesia.
- Evaluate research by Levels of Evidence and Grades of Recommendations
- Module 1: Introduction to Research
- Module 2: Research Design and Data Collection
- Module 3: Data Analysis and Interpretation
- Module 4: Research Dissemination
- Module 5: Levels of Evidence and Grades of Recommendations
Required text and materials
- Harvey, B. J., Lang, E. S., & Frank, J. R. (Eds.). (2011). The research guide: A
primer for residents, other health care trainees, and practitioners. Ottawa, ON: Royal
College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
Type: Textbook. ISBN:
Students are encouraged to have a dictionary to look up unfamiliar terms. The following is
- Porta, M. (Ed.). (2014). A Dictionary of Epidemiology (6th ed.). Oxford, UK: Oxford
However, another dictionary of epidemiology, research, or statistics might also be used, as
might an online glossary, such as the following:
- National Collaborating Centre for Methods and Tools. (n.d.). Glossary. McMaster
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher
on the overall course, and 50% or higher on the final mandatory project.
Students applying this course toward any TRU Health Care program may be required to obtain a
minimum 60% on the course overall to meet the program requirements.
|Quiz 1: Study Designs and Statistical Analysis
|Assignment 1: Anesthesia Evidence Inventory and Article Critique
|Quiz 2: Research Dissemination and Levels of Evidence
|Final Project: Case Studies
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.