Accounting Software Systems
Students learn to maintain the financial records of a small business using an accounting software package. Topics include an introduction; accounts payable; accounts receivable; payables and receivables setup; payroll journal and setup; inventory transactions; orders, quotes and deposits; currencies and remittances; project allocations; reconciliations and deposits; and comprehensive setup.
ACCT 1211 and ACCT 1221
or ACCT 2211, ENGL 1101
ACCT 1920, ACCT 1921, ACCT 2280, ACCT 2281
- Analyze source documents and identify transaction types
- Analyze various journals and statements to reconcile data
- Navigate in Sage 50 Accounting (enter and modify transactions, run reports, set-up and process receivables, payables, payroll)
- Save, backup and restore Sage 50 Accounting data files
- Create and configure company chart of accounts in a diverse group business situations
- Identify and enter specific company data
- Perform account reconciliations on a variety of accounts
- Set-up of product inventories and processing of sales and purchases of inventory using weighted averages
- Set-up and use of project accounting
- Enter new employee data and process payroll, including year-end documents
- Set-up multi-currency bank accounts and process transactions
- Maintain data integrity and internal control procedures
- Perform standard year-end procedures
- Lesson 1: Introduction, Indirect Taxes, and General Journal
- Lesson 2: Accounts Payable
- Lesson 3: Accounts Receivable
- Lesson 4: Company Setup, Payables, and Receivables Setup
- Lesson 5: Payroll Journal and Payroll Ledger Setup
- Lesson 6: Comprehensive Setup
- Lesson 7: Inventory Transactions
- Lesson 8: Orders, Quotes, Prepayments, and Deposits
- Lesson 9: Credit Cards, Currencies, and Remittances
- Lesson 10: Project Allocations
- Lesson 11: Reconciliations and Deposits
- Lesson 12: Assignment 2 and Final Project: Comprehensive Setup
Required Text and Materials
Purbhoo, M. (2019). Using Sage 50 Accounting 2018 + Student Version Software. Toronto:
Note: The above textbook is provided to students as a bundle with an access kit to the companion website: Bundle ISBN: 978-0-13-522116-7
Technical Basics lists the hardware, software, and computer skills requirements for your course. You will need a CD-drive in your computer in order to access the data files on the Sage 50 Accounting 2018 Student DVD.
Note: The Sage 50 Accounting DVD is only compatible with Windows 7 and higher operating systems. This DVD will not run on Mac operating systems.
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students throughout the course. Primary Information communication is through the Learning Environment's "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.
In order to successfully complete this course, students must achieve at least 50% on the mandatory final project and in 50% in the overall course.
|Assignment 1: Stratford Country Inn||15%|
|Assignment 2: VeloCity||20%|
|Final Project *||25%|