Students develop the ability to collect, analyze, and communicate quantitative and
non-quantitative information to assist management in making more effective planning and control
decisions. Topics include the changing role of management accounting and basic concepts; product
costing and cost accumulation; process costing and hybrid product costing systems; activity-based
costing and activity-based management; activity analysis, cost behaviour and cost estimation;
cost-volume profit analysis; absorption and variable costing; profit planning and activity-based
budgets; standard costing and flexible budgeting; cost management tools; and decision making.
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Apply managerial accounting and its objectives in a way that demonstrates a clear
understanding of ethical responsibilities.
- Prepare various costing schedules where an analysis of cost classification, behaviour, and
type is completed.
- Apply and analyze different types of activity-based management tools through the preparation
- Analyze cost-volume-profit techniques to determine optimal managerial decisions.
- Prepare a master budget and demonstrate an understanding of the relationship between the
- Perform cost variance analysis and demonstrate the use of standard costs in flexible
- Outline and apply management tools and techniques such as the balanced scorecard, operational
performance measures, quality, and environmental cost management.
- Prepare analyses of various special decisions, using relevant costing and benefits.
- Module 1: The Changing Role of Managerial Accounting
- Module 2: Job-Order Versus Process Cost Accounting
- Module 3: Activity Based Costing (ABC)
- Module 4: Incremental Analysis & Alternative Inventory Costing Methods
- Module 5: Pricing and Budgetary Planning
- Module 6: Budgetary Control and Responsibility Accounting, & Standard Costs and Balanced
Required text and materials
Weygandt, J.J., Kimmel, P.D., Kieso, D.E., and Aly, I.M. (2017). Managerial Accounting Tools
for Business Decision-Making + WileyPLUS (5th Canadian ed.). Toronto, ON: Wiley.
Type: Loose-Leaf Textbook: ISBN: 9781119410539
A computer with Internet access required.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on
the overall course, and 50% or higher on the final mandatory exam.
|Assignment 1: Role of Managerial Accounting
|Assignment 2: Job Order & Process Costing
|Assignment 3: Activity Bases Costing
|Assignment 4: Incremental Analysis & Inventory Costing Methods
|Assignment 5: Pricing Products & Budgetary Planning
|Assignment 6: Budgetary Control & Balaced Scorecards
|Final Exam *
Open Learning Faculty Member
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Primary communication is
through the Learning Environment's "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary
contact information when starting the course.