Education and Social Work Menu
Adult Basic Education Courses
The University Preparation program offers adult basic education courses and programs for students with diverse educational backgrounds and academic goals.
Gain access to a specific course or complete your B.C. Adult Graduation Diploma (formerly called the Adult Graduation [Dogwood] Diploma). Adult basic education helps with bridging to a career, vocational, or academic program.
Courses are designed to provide a strong foundation for adult learners. They are delivered in small, student-centered classes through teaching methods that can accommodate students’ life experience and learning styles.View Courses
How to Enrol
Applications for the UPREP program are accepted throughout the year with three Semester intakes offered in the Fall, Summer and Winter terms.
- Contact an academic advisor or the department chairperson to ensure you register for the right courses. If you reside outside of Kamloops, contact the TRU location nearest you.
- After you've spoken with an advisor, you can Apply for admission to TRU. Also see the Admissions Information Package for UPREP.
- TRU will notify you of your acceptance and of your registration date.
Costs and Financial Aid
Low income students qualify for the Adult Upgrading Grant. This non-repayable grant covers costs for textbooks, ancillary fees, unsubsidized childcare and other fees. Tuition is free. Learn more about the Adult Upgrading Grant.
Students who do not qualify for this grant are encouraged to contact the Students Awards and Financial Aid Office at TRU to access other sources to help fund their education.
Students applying into UPREP for the first time are strongly encouraged to take the Accuplacer. The test is designed to assess the academic grade level you currently have which helps determine the correct level of courses for which you should be taking. Contact our Assessment Centre for costs and to schedule a testing time.
Find out more
If you have questions about any aspect of this program, contact us!
- Jane Horton: firstname.lastname@example.org, 250-828-5261
B.C. Adult Graduation Diploma
If your goal is to obtain a B.C. Adult Graduation Diploma our UPREP Program can assist you. This diploma is equivalent to the High School Dogwood Diploma.
- Languages Arts 12 (TRU ENGL 0600)
- Mathematics 11 or 12 (TRU MATH 0510)
- Three Grade 12 ministry authorized courses or Social Studies 11 and two Grade 12 ministry authorized courses (TRU BIOL 0600, CHEM 0600, PHYS 0600, MATH 0600/0610, NAST 0500, NAST 0600, STSS 0500 or university-level courses)
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- Have successfully completed three credit courses as an adult
- Have successfully completed at least one credit course at TRU