Education and Social Work Menu
Master of Education (MEd)
Learn in a personalized environment — one that supports student success.
The MEd program is designed for you — a working professional in education, administration, training, or employee development — who wants to assume a position as an educational leader and researcher in education, health care, private industry or government.
Courses from this program may be used for the BC Teacher Qualification Service, and may lead to a pay raise.
Proud to offer Indigenous education
What our students say
In many cases, the information I learned in the Master of Education courses provided insight into deficits and problems within the education system and my workplace that I may not have realized existed. I feel my leadership has evolved.Roy Styles, Vice Principal, Dallas Elementary School (Grad 2021)
As an International student, I am so grateful to be part of the MEd program at TRU. I felt tremendous support from the faculty and support staff especially when I was far away from my home country. I also found the well-designed courses and reading materials enabled me to gain both knowledge and confidence to achieve my academic and professional goals. I couldn't have had a better experience obtaining my masters degree.Licheng Li, Assistant, Dean's Office (Grad 2022)
I sought meaning in my profession and reconnection in my role as a teacher. The Master of Education program at Thompson Rivers University did not disappoint. As a graduate, I would further recommend it for the depth of critical reflection cultivated amongst faculty and students.Darcy Martin, 1st Vice-President, Kamloops Thompson Teachers' Association (Grad 2018)
Our MEd instructors offer a range of professional fields, supporting several areas of study and expertise. You will have opportunities to:
- Gain a deeper understanding of Indigenous education through first-hand experience learning from the land, meeting Elders, and exploring Indigenous research methodology
- Study educational leadership from experienced current and former BC K-12 educators
- Learn how to incorporate current inclusive and special education methods into your teaching practice
The MEd has been designed for maximum choice by students. In addition to completing the core courses, students select from across the elective courses. Through your elective choices, you can take advantage of a wide array of subject matter that is relevant to your current career path. You can work with your instructors to tailor your assignments to your interests and make a positive impact in your life, your career, and your community.
Students in the MEd are able to access weekly workshops and regular tutoring appointments from dedicated Graduate-level TA's through our Graduate Students in Education Success Centre.
Download our MEd Brochure for more information.
Carve your own career path
Our recent graduates work in a diverse range of educational settings, including:
- Elementary and secondary school administrators
- Post-secondary instructors and sessional professors
- Online education faculty members
- Instructional designers and editors
- Marketing and communications editors and writers
- Subject matter consultants and reviewers
- Health professionals and healthcare educators
- Early childhood education teachers
- K-12 teachers in the public and private sector
- Textbook writers and editors
- Teaching English as a Second Language instructors
- Project managers and business analysts in education
Please note: The Master of Education is not a K-12 teaching qualification. In Canada, a Bachelor of Education is required to teach K-12 and be eligible for the Teacher Qualification Service, which can lead to a pay raise.
Make this your university, your community, and your chance to make a difference.Admissions and Application