Education and Social Work Menu
Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies
The Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies (GCES) is designed to help students develop English language and academic skills necessary to succeed in TRU’s Master of Education (MEd) program.
Direct-entry international students who require English upgrading will be required to successfully complete up to five levels of TRU’s English as a Second Language program before entering TRU’s MEd program. In addition to the ESL courses, students will be required to successfully complete three graduate level courses.
Students who meet English language requirements, but require academic upgrading, will be required to complete three graduate courses prior to admission in TRU’s MEd program.
Students wishing to upgrade their GPA in order to ease the transition to TRU’s MEd program may also choose the GCES program.
The GCES is considered a standalone Graduate Certificate that completes qualifications for admission into TRU’s MEd program. Note: Credits received in GCES do not transfer to the TRU MEd program.
|Program||Start Dates||Application Deadlines|
|GCES||May (Summer Semester)||March 1||February 1|
|GCES||September (Fall Semester)||May 1||May 1|
|GCES||January (Winter Semester)||October 15||October 1|
NOTE: Admission deadline for Fall 2020 has been extended to May 29, 2020 for Domestic and International students.
- four-year undergraduate degree from an accredited institution
- GPA of 3.00 (but not lower than 2.50) on a 4.33-point scale
- language requirements as outlined in the GCES brochure, below
Intended for two categories of students:
- those with English skills insufficient for admission directly into TRU’s Master of Education (MEd)
- those who meet English language requirements for admission to graduate studies at TRU and who need to upgrade their GPA and/or ease the transition to TRU’s MEd