Education and Social Work Menu
Bachelor of Social Work
Extended application deadline
The application deadline for the Bachelor of Social Work has been extended. We are reviewing completed applications and will continue to accept them until all seats are full. You are encouraged to submit your application documents as soon as possible to be considered for the fall 2023 intake.
The TRU Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) program offers a nationally accredited degree that prepares students for a career in the diverse profession of social work. The BSW degree is designed to build on the educational achievements and experiences of a wide range of students.
Both diploma graduates and undergraduate students who have completed the necessary prerequisites may enter the program. Courses are offered on the Kamloops campus, and students can complete the program on a full-time or part-time basis.
BSW Program Presentation
The BSW program is fully accredited by the Canadian Association for Social Work Education.
Ashley Pierobon pushed her own limits so she could help others
"The support I received from (professors) was pivotal in my growth and shaping the social worker and person I have become."Read Ashley's story
of BSW graduates surveyed were employed within six months of graduation, almost all in full-time positions
of BSW graduates were satisfied with the quality of their education and stated that it was relevant to their employment performance
Median starting income for full-time employment
of students continue on to graduate programs
- 1990 — Program begins with Dr. Grant Larson as Dean in partnership between Thompson Rivers University (formerly the University College of the Cariboo) and the University of Victoria
- 1990-1997 — Joint BSW with UVic
- 1998 — BSW established as an independently accredited program
- 1997 — Concentrated BSW program offered
- 1998 — Affiliation agreement with Nicola Valley Institute of Technology established
- 2000-present — Child welfare specialization begins
- 1999-2004 — Collaboration with UBC to offer MSW distance education program
- 2005 — Thompson Rivers University established
- Currently — BSW program is part of School of Social Work and Human Service in the Faculty of Education and Social Work