Education and Social Work Menu
Applicants will be eligible for admission with a minimum of 90 credits acceptable to the TRU B.Ed. program. The following requirements must be met with a cummulative GPA of 2.67:
- 6 credits in English, including both literature and composition
- 3 credits in mathematics, other than statistics
- 3 credits in science (biology, chemistry, physics, physical geography, geology/earth science, environmental studies, astronomy)
- 3 credits in history or geography
- 18 upper-level credits in one or more teachable subject areas (taught in BC schools)
- 6 credits in Canadian Studies in humanities or social Sciences (may be included in lines 4 and 5)
- 24 credits of coursework in teachable subject areas, such as:
- First Nations Studies
- Business Education
- General Science
- Chef Instructor
- Physical Education
- Computer Science
- Home Economics
- Social Studies
- Earth Science
- Technology Industrial Ed
These 24 credits may include credits in requirements 1-5 above.
Teaching experience requirement
You must have at least 100 hours of relevant volunteer or paid teaching experience working with groups of elementary (grades K-7) and/or middle school (grades 6-9) students. These hours must be completed prior to your admission into the program. We recommended that 25 of these hours be in an elementary or middle school classroom or environment.
- TRU application form, letter of intent and a report detailing 100 hours of relevant experience, including the name of a supervisor or supervisors
- Official transcripts (not photocopies) from all post-secondary institutions (other than TRU)
- Application fee, if you are a new TRU student
- Two confidental statements from referees qualified to attest to your suitability for teaching
Registration and payment of fees
If you are accepted, the Registrar’s Office will notify you in writing. To reserve your place, you must pay a $500 commitment fee.
Financial aid, entrance scholarships, bursaries and awards
Criminal record check
To participate in a practicum, teacher candidates must have completed a criminal record check.
Persons convicted of a criminal offence or who have been given an absolute or conditional discharge should contact the Teacher Regulation Branch (TRB) for clarification of their status before undertaking a teacher education program.
You are expected to complete the program on a full-time basis. However, a few applicants may be admitted to complete the coursework components of the program on a part-time basis. However, all practica (except those in Year 1 Semester 1), must be completed on a full-time basis.