Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Educational Advising

TRU-OL offers general educational advising services for people who are considering taking a course or program through Open Learning, and program advising for students enrolled in a TRU-OL program. 

General Educational Advising Services

Student Services advisors are available to answer questions about the course registration and program admission process. Please contact them if you have questions about the following:

  • Registering for an TRU-OL course
  • Transferring credit from a TRU-OL course to a program at another institution
  • The TRU-OL program application process

Email Student Services.

Program Advising

Once you have applied and been accepted into a program, a program advisor will create a detailed program plan for you. Your program advisor will work with you through to graduation to periodically update this plan and answer any questions you have about prerequisites, course selection and more.

TRU-OL program students have options to customize or complete a program faster. These include:

  • Transfer Credit – when you apply to a program, you must arrange for transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have previously attended to be sent by those institutions to TRU-OL Admissions. Advising will do a transcript assessment and apply all applicable credit to your program plan.
  • Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) – PLAR is an assessment process through which students may be awarded academic credit from previous work, life or volunteer experiences. Your program advisor can help you explore if PLAR is right for you.
  • Letters of Permission – In some cases, students can take courses at other post-secondary institutions and transfer the credit to their TRU-OL program with a Letter of Permission. Your advisor will need to confirm that the course is eligible for program credits and issue this Letter of Permission.

English and Mathematics Assessments

Students wishing to upgrade their English or mathematics skills may complete the following voluntary assessments to help determine skill levels:

Contact Student Services for more information.