Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)
Earn Academic Credits for Learning from Life and Work Experience
Many learners have acquired valuable training, skills and knowledge gained through learning experiences such as industry-based training, professional development workshops and seminars, private study and paid and/or volunteer work experience. PLAR (Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition) provides students with the opportunity to have such learning assessed and recognized in the form of academic credit toward the requirements of a Thompson Rivers University, Open Learning program.
"Students awarded credit for education gained outside the classroom persist and graduate more than peers and cut their time to degree, broad study finds." Source: Inside High Ed News
Benefits of PLAR
- Accelerate the completion of your TRU-OL program.
- Save money by taking fewer classes.
- Gain confidence and self-esteem from having your previous accomplishments recognized.
- Strengthen the links between your formal studies and your work and life experience.
Video produced by Firefly Digital Media Inc. with support from the Canadian Council on Learning's Adult Learning Knowledge Centre. Used with permission.
Three PLAR Options
- Credit Bank
- Receive credit for pre-assessed training from selected employers, private training organizations and/or Continuing Studies programs.
- Portfolio-based PLAR Assessment.
- Create a portfolio documenting your previous learning, which will be reviewed by academic experts.
- Competency-based portfolios ( PDF, 287 KB) show how your learning matches general competencies required for your chosen field of study. Click here to see a sample.
- Course-based portfolios ( PDF, 227 KB) show how your learning matches the expected learning outcomes for the course. Click here to see a sample.
- Course Challenge exams
- Complete the equivalent of a final exam.
For more information about PLAR options go to PLAR FAQs.
For more information on PLAR and advice on how to apply, contact: PLAR Advising
- Toll Free: 1.800.663.9711
- Kamloops & International: 250.852.7000
- Email: email@example.com