To access PLAR, you would need to enroll in a program with us (certificate, diploma, or degree). Exceptions are that 1. non-TRU students can take our Challenge Exams and 2. Kwantlen Polytechnic University Arts students can complete the Competency-based Portfolio, both upon approval.
Open Learning (online and distance) students
Your program plan helps us to decide on the number of PLAR credits that you can use toward your program. Each program allows different amounts of credit.
- Contact the PLAR advisors for PLAR readiness information.
- Student submits the applicable fee.
- Begin portfolio development with guidance from TRU.
- Assessors review and assess portfolio.
Challenge exams steps
- Not all courses are available for challenge — please contact the PLAR advisors for availability (see below for language challenge exams). If in a program, ensure the course fits your program requirements.
- If the challenge exam is available, the advisors will inquire about experience related to the course content and send exam information.
- Pay the challenge exam fee.
- Student schedules exam date and location through the exams department.
Language challenge exams
- FRAN 1111 Introduction to French I
- FRAN 1211 Introduction to French II
- FRAN 3011 Advanced French Composition I
- FRAN 3021 Advanced French Composition II
- GERM 1001 Introduction to German I
- GERM 1011 Introduction to German II
- GERM 3001 Advanced German Composition I
- GERM 3011 Advanced German Composition II
- ITAL 1011 Introduction to Italian II
- ITAL 3001 Advanced Italian Composition I
- ITAL 3011 Advanced Italian Composition II
- MAND 3001 Advanced Mandarin Composition I
- MAND 3011 Advanced Mandarin Composition II
- SPAN 1001 Introduction to Spanish I
- SPAN 3001 Advanced Spanish Composition I
- SPAN 3011 Advanced Spanish Composition II
Credit bank steps
- Review the Credit Bank for agreements related to previous education or training.
- Contact us for next steps.
TRU campus students
We understand that many students wish to know their potential for PLAR credits prior to applying to a program — it can certainly help with planning of your education. That said, please know that in most cases (with the exception of challenge exams) students must first be admitted to an Open Learning program and have received their official program plan from their program advisors. You can find information regarding program application here.
For assistance with program-related questions or to discuss transfer credit, contact a program advisor: