Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Transfer Credit

Previously earned credits can count towards your TRU credential, which means you don't have to start from square one when enrolling in a program. Apply for your past credits to be transferred to an Open Learning program by arranging for official post-secondary transcripts to be sent to TRU.

Transferring credit to an OL program from other institutions

As part of the admission process, you need to arrange for official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions to be sent by those institutions directly to the Open Learning admissions department. Documents from international institutions may require assessment by an accredited international credential evaluation service. You may also need to provide additional supporting documentation with the application, particularly if courses were completed more than seven years ago or were completed outside of BC.

Program plans

Once you have completed the admission process, a program advisor assesses your transcripts. An individual program plan is created and indicates transfer credit granted (if any) in addition to the remaining requirements necessary to complete the credential. The plan is usually sent to you within six weeks of admission to the program.

Remaining credits may be earned through coursework or prior learning assessment and recognition (PLAR) — by course challenge or portfolio-assisted assessment or a combination of both.

Taking courses at other institutions

If you want to take a course for a TRU program at another institution, you must first apply for a letter of permission, using the letter of permission request form. One letter of permission per semester, per institution is required for such courses.

Your record and program plan are updated when Open Learning receives official transcripts detailing course completion from the external institution. You are responsible for ordering these transcripts, directed to Open Learning Admissions.

Advanced Placement

Advanced Placement is a program of college-level courses and examinations, administered by the College Entrance Examination Board in New York, with a Canadian office in Kelowna, BC. Unless stated otherwise, TRU-OL requires that students have a minimum grade of 3.0 in the Advanced Placement program to receive transfer credit.

International Baccalaureate

The International Baccalaureate program, sponsored by a Swiss foundation in Geneva, is a comprehensive curriculum, including languages, science, mathematics and humanities. Unless stated otherwise, Open Learning requires that students have a minimum grade of 4.0 in the International Baccalaureate program to receive transfer credit.