Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Program Advising Services

Once you are admitted to a program, TRU-OL program advisors are available to answer questions about course selection, program options, and procedures, including:

At any time throughout your TRU-OL program, you are encouraged to contact your advisor with questions or concerns (when contacting your advisor by email, please identify the program you have been admitted to). Your advisor will be happy to assist you.

Working Through Your Program

After you are admitted to a TRU-OL program, your advisor will create your program plan, which outlines how previous coursework has been applied to your program and lists courses remaining for you to complete.

If another program appears better-suited to your background than the one you have selected, your advisor may contact you to discuss program options.

Consulting with Your Advisor Before Course Registration

It is imperative that you consult with your advisor prior to registering in a course in order to ensure that the course satisfies degree requirements. Students who register in a course without prior approval from an advisor will bear the responsibility for having taken credit that does not count toward their program in the event that the course is not applicable to their degree.

Switching Programs

Should you wish to switch degree programs, you must first contact your advisor. Intention to switch from one program to another must be confirmed in writing either by letter or email. When your advisor receives written confirmation, a new program plan for the new degree will be constructed.


If the new program being pursued is outside the program area you are currently studying in, you must apply for admission to the new area. Your file will be forwarded to the new faculty advisor, who will then construct the new program plan and be responsible for your new academic direction.

Updating Your Program Plan

Every time you complete a course your program plan will be updated and a copy of the update can be sent to you. However, in order to trigger an update you are responsible for notifying your advisor that a course has been completed and a final grade assigned. Your advisor will also update your plan upon receiving official transcripts directly from other institutions that show newly completed coursework. (Make sure you submit a Letter of Permission Request prior to registering for courses at other institutions.) Your program plan can be updated at any time - all you need to do is contact your advisor.

Applying for Graduation

When you have completed your coursework, you are required to submit an Application for Graduation. All official transcripts for courses taken at other institutions, with a TRU-OL Letter of Permission, must be received by the Office of the Registrar before an application for graduation is taken forward. Graduation applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. Normally, credentials are sent to students approximately six (6) weeks after all graduation requirements, including submission of the Application for Graduation form, have been met and approved. Transcripts with credential notation are available on graduation application approval.

Contact your program advisor if you are unsure about applying for graduation.