The role of the university within the community is being redefined. Today’s universities are not separate from the communities in which they exist, but are in dialogue with them. Our research is informed by the conversations we have within the communities we serve. Dr. Will Garrett-Petts, Associate Vice-President of Research and Graduate Studies
In fall of 2016, TRU and the United Way Thompson Nicola Cariboo embarked on a new, innovative partnership designed to facilitate the exchange of knowledge between faculty and student researchers and the community.
Community Research Initiative
The Community Research Initiative supports research opportunities that:
- encourage community-university collaborations;
- develop research memorandums of understandings like those already in place between TRU, the City of Kamloops and the Thompson Nicola Cariboo United Way;
- create meaningful student research opportunities; and
- promote shared funding opportunities.
We have people from our community who spend their lives in service to others, and researchers who work in service to knowledge making. We aim to bring that knowledge into service for the broadest possible good. Ann McCarthy, Knowledge Mobilization Officer
Community-Driven Research Fund
Continuous intake until October 2019
The Community-Driven Research Fund is designed to support research that:
- responds directly to community needs;
- builds research partnerships with community organizations in the Thompson Nicola Cariboo region;
- provides opportunities for students to become involved in community-based research; and
- helps faculty and their community partners become more competitive for external funding.
Projects are expected to be community-driven, with the research outcomes primarily benefiting the community organization.
Award amount: $2,500. Matching contributions of up to $2,500 in cash or in-kind support is required from the community organization. A minimum of 10 awards are available per year.
CRF applications must be developed in collaboration with Ann McCarthy, Knowledge Mobilization Officer.Apply Now