Bachelor of Health Science
Some program requirements may be met with credits earned by prior learning assessment and recognition (PLAR).
Graduates from a three-year diploma program may be granted up to a maximum of 90 transfer credits; graduates from a two-year diploma program may be granted up to a maximum of 60 transfer credits.
Exceptions may be considered for concentrated programs. A maximum of 30 upper-level credits may be granted as block transfer from any health care diploma.
Completion of, or proof of enrolment in, a minimum two-year diploma in health care or related area from a recognized program and institution.
A minimum of 15 TRU credits (distance or on-campus); specifically, completion of two of either HLTH 3101, Client-Directed Care Management; HLTH 4021, Issues in Health Care; HLTH 4011, Health Policy; or equivalent
120 credits total, including at least 45 upper-level credits, with a grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 or higher over all courses required for the credential, as follows:
Lower Level Requirements (12 credits)
- 6 credits in first-year English (university-level composition and literature: ENGL 1001, Literature and Composition 1; or ENGL 1011, Literature and Composition II; or ENGL 1101), Composition if not granted as part of the transfer credit from a diploma program
- 3 credits in introductory statistics
- 3 credits in humanities (other than English)
Upper Level Requirements (9 credits)
- 3 credits in research methods, such as RMST 3501, Introduction to Research Methods or an approved upper-level equivalency
- 6 credits in HLTH 3101, HLTH 4021 or HLTH 4011
Elective Requirements (number of credits varies, depending on transfer credit granted)
At least 15 credits of required coursework must be academic electives, with a minimum of 6 upper-level credits.
Academic electives are courses that are not considered as professional development, applied studies or advanced training. Credit for ANES, POLY, RESP, and HLTH courses are limited because they are considered non-academic. Courses related to transfer credit into this program are not considered for additional credit toward this degree.