Students explore the basic concepts and methodologies of developing and executing successful business strategies in a dynamic global environment. Effective strategy is about developing a competitive advantage. Learners develop insights into the workings of CEO and top management teams in preparation for senior positions in management. Topics include an overview of strategic management; creating competitive advantages; strategies for creating a competitive advantage; and implementing strategies.
Recommended: FNCE 2121, MKTG 2431, HRMN 2821, SCMN 3321 and IBUS 3511.
Students cannot receive credit for more than one of MNGT 4781 and PADM 4779.
After completing this course, students should be able to:
- Perform a rigorous analysis of a company's strategic direction.
- Identify and explain a company's mission and vision statement and relate and critique these statements to the company's strategic direction.
- Prepare a SWOT analysis and explain and evaluate the relationship between the SWOT and a company's strategic direction.
- Identify and explain all micro and macro forces that shape a company's strategic plan and determine performance.
- Analyze and evaluate all the steps for the proper alignment of financial and non-financial resources within a company's strategic plan.
- Analyze a company's strategic plan in the context of the industry life cycle and environment in which it operates.
- Analyze, evaluate, and draw conclusions on the effectiveness and performance of control and integration mechanisms.
- Establish metrics to assess and measure strategic performance.
- Analyze and evaluate the company's communication and feedback loop relative to company strategy and performance.
- Analyze, evaluate, and draw conclusions on the financial performance relative to the company's strategic plan.
- Analyze, evaluate, and identify risks and risk mitigation strategies appropriate to the company's strategic direction.
- Analyze, evaluate, and develop strategies for a single or multi-business organization.
- Assess, analyze, and recommend changes to company strategy based on a full analysis of a company's strategic plan.
- Develop and prepare a strategic review document presented in a consistent form and properly documented.
- Module 1: Introduction to Strategic Management
- Module 2: Creating Competitive Advantage
- Module 3: Strategies for Competitive Advantage
- Module 4: Implementing Strategy
Maximum Completion30 weeks.
Required Text and Materials
Hill, C. W. and G. R. Jones. Strategic Management Theory. 10th edition. South-Western Cengage Learning, 2013.
Type: Textbook. ISBN: 978-1-133-48570-4
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Primary communication is through the Learning Environment's "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary contact information when starting the course.
In order to successfully complete this course, students must obtain at least 50% on the final mandatory examination and 50% overall. It is strongly recommended that students complete all assignments in order to achieve the learning objectives of the course.
Your final grade for the course is determined on the following basis:
|Final Examination *||40%|