Skip to main contentSkip Navigation or Skip to Content
Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Visas, Medical Insurance, Register as a Canadian Abroad

Visa requirements and application process

Applying for a visa is one of the last steps to be completed before leaving Canada. Applying for the Visa/Study Permit can only be done once a formal letter is provided by the host university and/or faculty. The formal permission is an Official Acceptance Letter, Letter of Permission, Confirmation of Enrollment, etc. You can only apply for a Visa once you have this formal documentation. Not before.

Since each country has different requirements, forms, processes and associated costs for obtaining legal status, the simplest way is to Google searching “ student visa application for (country of interest) ”, and/or visit this online resource created by the TRU Library Consulate Information.

The Government of Canada Country Travel Advice and Advisories has been created to provide Canadians travelling and living abroad with information and advice on situations that may affect their safety and well-being. Select your destination from the list to view regularly updated information on its security, entry and exit requirements, health conditions, local laws and culture, natural disasters and climate, and how to find help when you are there.

No matter where in the world you intend to travel, make sure you check your destination country’s travel advice and advisories page twice: once when you are planning your trip, and again shortly before you leave. If the region or the country you will be visiting becomes subject to a travel advisory, your travel health insurance or your trip cancellation insurance may be affected.

International students are required to research the visa requirements with their home country embassy for entry requirements to the host country. This is important as there may be existing agreements in place with your country of origin or other entry requirements in place.

The Centre for Intercultural Learning, with the Government of Canada has fantasticcountry insights to help you better prepare for your upcoming trip. Details include country overview, geography, politics, economics, languages, culture, history, maps and media information.

Medical Insurance

It is important to fully understand what an individual is protected and not protected from, how to make a claim, if their are pre-existing conditions and if you have repatriation, natural disaster and emergency evacuation coverage. The price and options will vary depending on length of time abroad, country visiting and if there are any travel advisories or alerts.  

The Government of Canada has a great resource on-line to explain what one should consider when reviewing different policies for travelling abroad.

TRU Study Abroad currently works with to support all of inbound international student needs. This same service is available to support all of our outbound student mobility needs for short-term, field school and/or longer stay needs. Visit your local insurance company, BCAA membership, or consult with your financial institution for more information.

Register as a Canadian abroad

TRU Study Abroad advises all TRU community members travelling abroad to register with the Government of Canada. This service is intended for Canadian citizens. If you are an international student studying in Canada, it is recommended to register with your country of origin. The Government of Canada currently has in place existing agreements with Australia, Israel and Jamaica.

Canada will assist and register Australian, Israeli and Jamaican citizens in the geographical location(s) listed below. If you meet the criteria below, please register. If you country is not listed below, contact your country's nearest consular office to determine if it has a similar registration program in place.

CitizenshipGeographic Area
Australian Algeria, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Costa Rica, Ivory Coast, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC),Ecuador, El Salvador, Gabon, Gambia, Guatemala, Guinea, Kazakhstan, Mali, Morocco, Romania, Senegal, Tanzania, Tunisia, Venezuela
Israeli Cuba, Venezuela
Jamaican Russia (Moscow only)
Search To Top