In an Emergency
In case of an emergency outside of Canada:
- First, contact local authorities or your host organization (if applicable) for immediate assistance. Depending on your location, this may be local police, or the Canadian consulate.
- Next, contact TRU Campus Security at +1 -250-828-5033, available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Campus Security will need to know:
- Who to contact at TRU: Contact the International Mobility Officer, Karie Russell or the Director of StudentAffairs
- First and last name, along with TRU student number
- Country and location
- Number to call you back
- Reason for call
Security may also direct the call to the Risk Management team. TRU's approach is tocome together as a team utilizing the expertise of our campus communityto support you.The univeristy is committed to providing well-supported programs that contribute to safe international learning experiences. However, critical incidents may occur while students are abroad requiring an effective and timely response. Each situation requires specific information and procedures. The university looks to support students in any reasonable way it can.
Emergency Consular Assistance
There are a few ways to access emergency consular assistance while you are abroad:
For emergency help during business hours, call your nearest embassy or consular directly.
If you call outside of office hours, your telephone call will automatically be transferred to a consular officer in Ottawa, OR you will be asked to leave a message for a return call. Under normal circumstances, an operations officer will get back to you within 15 minutes/quickly. However, this delay may be longer during large-scale emergencies.
You can also:
- Send an email to email@example.com or make a collect call 613-996-8885 to DFATD in Ottawa.
- You can also contact DFATD's Emergency Watch and Response Centre in Ottawa 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or make a collect call 613-996-8885.
- From within Canada, call 1-800-267-6788, or 1-613-944-6788.
You may be asked to leave a message. Please follow the instructions carefully. Under normal circumstances, an operations officer will get back to you within 15 minutes. However, this delay may be longer during large-scale emergencies.