Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Vehicle Insurance

TRU owned or leased vehicles are not covered by UCIPP and must be insured through ICBC by the department or faculty. Departments planning to buy, lease or rent vehicles for more than one month should contact Purchasing for advice and support.

When renting a vehicle for less than 30 days on TRU business for travel within British Columbia employees should take advantage of the Province’s Daily Vehicle Rental Corporate Supply Arrangement (CSA). Under this arrangement TRU gets preferential rental rates and access to provincial insurance arrangements. If the car is damaged during the rental period ask the agency to send all of the paperwork to Risk Management Services (either at or through the mail to the university, c/o Risk Management Services).

Departments and faculties needing to transport groups of employees or students should consider purchasing transport services if a larger capacity vehicle (more than 10 people including the driver) is needed, as these vehicles have  higher risk profile and require a commercial licence to operate. Contracts for transport services should include safety and insurance requirements.

TRU employees who are asked to provide transport to students or other employees (excluding informal ride sharing arrangements made between individuals) must provide their faculty/school or division with a Driver Information Form and provide proof of licencing, insurance and a copy of their drivers abstract (available with no chanrge from ICBC).

On occasion students (or research assistants) may need to use their own, their instructor's or TRU's vehicles for educational/research purposes. They should be recorded as volunteer drivers using the Volunteer Information form, complete a Driver Information Form and provide proof of licencing, insurance and a copy of their drivers abstract.

Driver Information forms are valid for one year. Driver Information forms and associated paperwork should be filed by the faculty or department in a secure confidential location. Any driver who uses a vehicle for more than six days a month for TRU business should be recorded with ICBC as business rate class (the additional premium is reclaimable from TRU).

For more information about vehicle insurance, including arrangements when renting vehicles out of province, in the States and overseas reference the Guidance on insurance arrangements when using rental or personal vehicles for university business or contact Risk Management Services at