Skip to main contentSkip Navigation or Skip to Content
Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Reporting a Claim

If an incident occurs, and it is thought that it could lead to a potential claim, Risk Management Services should be notified as quickly as possible. Significant incidents should be reported immediately by phone to 250-828-5458. All other potential claims should be sent by email to as soon as possible.

Incidents that raise security concerns (e.g. thefts, break-ins, etc.) should also be reported directly to security at or by calling 5033. Where appropriate, the police should be called.

Incidents involving TRU owned or leased vehicles need to be reported to ICBC.

Employee injuries are covered by workers compensation and should be reported using the TRU incident reporting process. Any questions regarding workers compensation should be directed to the Office of Safety and Emergency Management.

Risk Management Services and the Office of the General Counsel are responsible for managing all losses and/or claims that may impact on the university's insurance coverage. Make no admissions, settlements or offers, or sign any statements except as required by a police officer.

Risk Management Services will notify the university’s insurance carrier. It is the responsibility of TRU's insurers to investigate any or all claims on behalf of the university.

If someone asks you to accept legal papers on behalf of Thompson Rivers University, you should refuse to accept the papers. Direct the person to the Office of the General Counsel, in the Clock Tower or call 250-828-5003.

Claims may take a significant amount of time from the initial incident to the award of any compensation.

Search To Top