Skip to main contentSkip Navigation or Skip to Content

Students and Insurance

Students at TRU have limited insurance coverage.

The university's liability coverage provides coverage to students if an action is brought against a student acting under TRU’s direction in a sanctioned activity as part of a broader claim against the university.

WorksafeBC (the British Columbia provider of workers compensation coverage) is provided to students only in the following circumstances:

  • While participating in practicum placements within BC required by their courses
  • While participating in SkilledTradesBC-approved apprenticeship technical training courses
  • While enrolled in foundation programs and participating in required off-site workplace experience course components
  • Within British Columbia (there are similar programs in some but not all Canadian provinces)

A practicum is defined as: an assigned work experience component of a program, sanctioned by the institution. Practicums involve unpaid and supervised work which takes place at the host employer's premises or place of business.

Please refer to the Guidance on workers compensation arrangements and insurance for students on practicum within British Columbia, and the Guidance on workers compensation arrangements and insurance for students on practicum within Canada but outside of British Columbia, for more information. More information about workers compensation can be found on the WorkSafeBC website.

TRU participates in the UCIPP Student Accident Insurance Program. This is an accidental death and dismemberment policy, providing coverage to students who suffer from a significant injury when participating in a TRU organised, authorised or approved program or activity. More information about the Student Accident Insurance Program, including a leaflet for students, can be obtained from the Risk Management Office.

Domestic students who have not opted out of the TRU Students’ Union benefit plan have additional coverage. More details can be found at their website: TRUSU Health and Dental Plan.

Students may also be covered through individual or family benefits or insurance plans.

All students are expected to provide their own medical insurance coverage either through the Province of BC's Medical Services Plan (MSP), or an alternative provider, if they are not eligible for MSP. Students travelling out-of-country while attending TRU should purchase additional medical coverage and automobile insurance (if the student will be driving an automobile) for out-of-country travel.

More information about insurance for students can be found in the Guidance on insurance arrangements for students.

Search To Top