Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Travel Insurance

The university does not have a specific travel insurance policy, but we do have a range of policies and/or benefits that provide similar coverage to our employees.

There are a few components to most travel insurance type policies:

  • Cancellation and interruption insurance. The university does not provide insurance in the case of trips being cancelled or disrupted. Travellers can receive assistance from Corporate Traveler if they need to change or rebook flights (all travel beyond Canada/the USA should be booked through Corporate Traveller). Additional costs incurred from travel delays or cancellations (e.g. non-refundable portions of travel costs) may be paid by the university on a discretionary basis according to the Travel Expense Policy.
  • Baggage and personal effects insurance. The university does not provide insurance for employee’s personal effects. If your luggage is lost or is delayed for more than 21 days the airline is obligated to provide compensation (up to $1,500 within Canada or up to US $1,663 outside of Canada where the Montreal convention applies). If you are flying with valuable items it is advised you declare this to the airline and keep receipts in the case of a claim. Most home insurance policies provide coverage for personal property while you're away from home. If personal property pertinent to the performance of duties is lost/damaged during business travel through no fault of the traveller the university may reimburse up to a maximum of $500 according to the Travel Expense Policy.
  • Emergency medical insurance. The university provides emergency out of country coverage to all staff through Manulife. Benefits vary by staff group. Employees should check their coverage before travelling. Employees covered by the Emergency travel assistance scheme should carry their Manulife card when travelling and use the emergency numbers provided if in need of help when abroad.
  • Travel/flight accident insurance. The university provides Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance through Manulife. Benefits vary by staff group. This type of policy generally only pays out in the case of very serious injury or death.

While the TRU travel policy states that trip interruption policies should not be purchased by TRU employees, in some instances travel related insurance should be purchased and the expense reimbursed by the university. For example insurance should be purchased and the expense reclaimed when renting a car for university business outside of BC.

We also purchase a special risk terrorism/war excess travel policy. This policy covers employees on business travel who experience war or terrorism related incidents that might otherwise be excluded from the normal emergency travel assistance scheme. Information about this policy can be obtained from the Risk Management Office at

It is recommended that faculty and staff check with Manulife regarding the limits of coverage while travelling outside of Canada (for either business or personal travel). It is up to the individual to decide if additional medical insurance needs to be purchased prior to departure.