The importance of media coverage
Media coverage about TRU and the exciting things that faculty, staff and students do here plays a significant role in building awareness and recognition of our campus. Recognition is built not only for the individual faculty member, but their department and TRU.
- What are faculty and students researching?
- What types of students attend the University?
- How do they juggle work, school, play and still manage to give back to the community?
Promoting program news, events, research and community involvement
Faculty, staff and students are best able to convey the story of TRU. Stories about research, recent grants, contributions to the community, program changes, as well as interesting and outstanding students and faculty are all potentially of interest to local media.
Is my research unique to what is happening in other universities and classrooms?
Does my expertise or research represent current news and events locally or nationally?
How does this story affect the average community member?
Start a Press Release
To begin the process of creating a press release, Newsroom post or just getting the word out about something fun, exciting or interesting happening in your department please email us with the following information:
- Contact Information: The Contact for questions or comments about the story readers should the contact for more information?
- Due Date: When should we post this story?
- Lead Paragraph: The Who, What, Where, Why, When and How of the story.
- Background Information: Remember we are telling our story to the general public who only have few minutes to spare and a few minutes to be informed.
- Quotes: These would usually be from the person listed as the Contact above.
- Links: Where the public can learn more or register etc.
- Attach files of photos or other documents with additional information.
If you have a story idea or would like more information on TRU and the media contact the Media and Communications Coordinator at 250-371-5897 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thompson Rivers University publishes a wide variety of newsletters, magazines and regular updates. One of these may be able to publish your story.
For more information about media relations at TRU, please email email@example.com