Can't find what you want at the TRU Library? Interlibrary Loan (ILL) will order it for you from another library.
Who Is Eligible For ILL Service?
TRU students, staff, and faculty with a current TRU Library account in good standing
Please note: Alumni and community members can access ILL service through their local public library
What Can I Borrow Through ILL?
- The ILL department will obtain the following materials:
- Books (excluding textbooks)
- Copies of journal/magazine/newspaper articles
- Theses and dissertations
- Conference proceedings
- Items officially missing from the TRU Library collection
- This service is to support research, employment, and course work at TRU. Please place requests for personal reading materials with your local public library.
What Are The Restrictions In The ILL Service?
- Items required in less than 7 days will be cancelled.
- TRU will only pay up to $25 per item.
- ILL requests are subject to the University's Fair Dealing Policy. Material provided through Interlibrary Loan must be used solely by you for the purpose of private study, research, criticism, and review. TRU Interlibrary Loan Services cannot order the following:
- more than one article from the same issue of a journal
- copies that comprise more than 10% of a published work.
- NOTE: ILL requests which exceed copyright limitations will be cancelled.
- Requests for required/recommended textbooks will be cancelled.
- This service is to support research, employment, and course work at TRU. Please place requests for personal reading materials with your local public library
Requesting ILL (online form): Article, Book, or Book Chapter
- Using your TRU Library account information to logon to the form.
- Under “Add Request” on the left-hand side of the screen, click on the type of item you would like to request (e.g., book, article)
- Fill out the needed information. (* denotes a required field)
- Check off the “This item is request solely for use …” check box.
- Click on “Submit”
Why Do I Need To Use My mytru.ca/tru.ca Email?
All official TRU Library notices (i.e., due date reminders, hold available notices, ILL request confirmations, ILL requested item available notices, etc.) are sent to mytru.ca/tru.ca email accounts. Please check your mytru.ca/tru.ca account regularly for library notices OR set up your TRU email account to forward messages automatically to the email account of your choice.
Why Was My ILL Request Cancelled?
- The item is needed in less than 7 days
- The request is for material that the TRU Library does not request via ILL. These include:
- items already in TRU's collection
- NOTE: If the item is checked out to someone else, please place a hold on it
- entire volumes or issues of a journal or magazine
- books intended to be placed on Reserve
- reference works
- sound recordings
- rare, valuable, or fragile items
- items already in TRU's collection
- The library cannot locate the item at another library
- The request is incorrect or incomplete
How Quickly Will I Get My Requested Item?
- Articles: 2-3 days
- Books: 1-2 weeks
- NOTE: Items coming from outside Canada may take up to 14 days or longer to arrive.
- The length of time it takes to receive requested materials depends upon several factors, such as:
- accuracy of the citation supplied on the request form
- response of the lending library
- method of delivery
How Will I Know That My Requested Item Is Available?
- When the item arrives at TRU (or if your request is cancelled), an email will be sent to your mytru.ca/tru.ca email address.
- Articles and book chapters will be emailed to you.
How Long Can I Keep My ILL?
Books: two weeks and may not be renewed.
NOTE: The loan period begins on the day that the library sends you an email to notify you that the item has arrived at the library
What Are The Fines For Overdue ILLs?
$2/day per item
NOTE: The TRU Library is borrowing material on your behalf. If the material is returned late, the TRU Library may lose its borrowing privileges with the lending institutions for everyone else and you may lose your ILL borrowing privileges.
How Do I Pick Up My ILL?
- Articles and book chapters will be emailed to you
|Kamloops Students||Main Library Circulation Desk *|
|Williams Lake Students||Library Circulation Desk *|
|Distance, Regional & Open Learning||Item(s) will be sent to you according to your selected delivery method (i.e., courier or pick up in person)|
|Kamloops Faculty||September-April: Delivered via interoffice mail or pickup at Main Library Circulation Desk
May-August: Main Library Circulation Desk *
|Williams Lake Faculty||September-April: Delivered via interoffice mail or pickup at Library Circulation Desk
May-August: Library Circulation Desk *
|* Campus ID card is required for pickup|
How Do I Request Theses & Dissertations?
- For more information about finding theses and dissertations, check out the TRU Library's Theses & Dissertations guide.
Where Do I Return My ILL?
- Kamloops Campus: Main Library's Circulation Desk
- Williams Lake Campus: Library's Circulation Desk
- Distance, Regional & Open Learning: If you had the item courier to you, please use the prepaid courier return label that was included in your package to return the items to the TRU Library's DROL department.
What Happens If I Lose Or Damage an ILL?
If you lose or damage material acquired via interlibrary loan, you will be responsible for paying any replacement charges and processing fees levied by the lending library.
What Happens If I Receive a "Recall" On My ILL?
If the lending library recalls material before the assigned due date, the TRU Library will notify you about the new due date for your item. Items must be returned by the new specified due date.
Information for Other Libraries
Log into Relais to make a request via our web pages: Institutional Login
Note: Contact the ILL Department for an institutional login and password.
- Items available for loan:
- Microfilm/microfiche (only between May 1 and August 30)
- Government documents
- Items available for copy/scan:
- Periodical articles
- Book chapters
- Reference materials
- Copies from microfilm/microfiche
- Items NOT available for loan
- reference materials
- reserve materials
- sound recordings
- special collections
- video recordings
- Submitting Requests
- OCLC: CN5CF
- LAC: BKCC
- Please submit via:
- ISO ILL protocol messages (contact us for details)
- Generic Script email
- OCLC (IFM billing)
- Relais Institutional form (contact us for an account)
- We do not provide rush service
For Profit Libraries (i.e., Corporate Libraries) Copies $25 Loans $25 Not for Profit Libraries - Canada * Copies $10 Loans $10 Not for Profit Libraries - Outside Canada ** Copies $15 Loans $15