Don't Cancel That Class
To maintain the energy and motivation of your students, we can deliver a career seminar so you don’t have to cancel your class. Faculty can choose from a variety of career topics or we can tailor a career seminar based on your students needs.
Most seminars are between 50 and 80 minutes. The seminars are delivered with a balance of practice, lecture, group discussion, technology and self-reflection.
Following the seminar, we will survey the students to determine the relevancy of the topic, student learning and satisfaction. You will be provided a copy of the seminar, the student evaluations and any required attendance record. Please ensure your students understand this is a regularly scheduled class and their attendance is required.
Who is delivering the seminars?
Faculty from Career and Experiential Learning.
Where will the seminars be held?
A faculty member will come to your scheduled room and class time.
Two weeks' notice is recommended. Due to instructor availability, it may not be possible to fulfil all requests.
What are the career seminar topics?
We can design a career seminar based on your student’s needs, or you can choose from the following list of topics:
50-minute seminar topics include:
- How employers are using social media for hiring decisions; manage your digital career self
- Overview of career development theory
- Overview of experiential learning (i.e. Co-op, internships, study abroad, service learning) and the connection to career planning
80-minute seminar topics include:
- Design and implementation of a personalized career plan-transition to grad school, professional school or labour force
- I majored in what? The labour market for your program of study
- Career e-portfolios
- Telling your story to potential employers-résumé and cover letter basics
- Interview skills and practice