Part-time Assistance

Canada Student Grant for Part-time Students (CSG-PT)

This federal grant program provides funding to low-income students registered in qualifying post-secondary courses who are pursuing a certificate, diploma or degree. The maximum funding per student per program year (Aug 1 to Jul 31) is $1,800 [increased to $3,600 for 2020-21 and 2021-22].

For courses starting prior to August 1, 2021, BC residents can download the application form. Complete the fillable pdf, sign the form, and send it back to as a scanned attachment. Further details on the grants can also be found at StudentAid BC.

Note: Do not complete the PDF form in your web browser. Download the form and save it to your computer before filling it out.

Open Learning students who reach the maximum Canada Student Grant will automatically also be considered for funding through the CKNW Bursary, Barbara Guttmann-Gee Bursary or Open Learning Bursary.

Allow two to four weeks for processing.

The part-time funding will cover all direct educational costs, including tuition and fees, required textbooks, miscellaneous allowance and some childcare when applicable.

Once a bursary or grant application has been approved, you can then register in the requested course(s), or if already registered, you will be reimbursed by cheque or credit card refund as long as the application has been received within two months of the original date of registration.

Bursaries and grants are available to applicants who can demonstrate financial need (according to the formula used by StudentAid BC). For Canada Student Grant only, all students must be studying between 20 to 59 percent of a full-time course load (normally 3-8 undergraduate credits). Applicants must be in good standing with any previous Canada or BC student loans.

For students not residing in BC, the Part-time Canada Student Grant (CSG) can be applied for directly through their province of residence.

If you or your program are not eligible for government assistance but you can demonstrate financial need, speak with a Student Awards Advisor regarding a Special Bursary Application through myTRU.

Adult Upgrading Grant (AUG)

This provincial grant program provides funding to students enrolled in Adult Basic Education courses: Grade 10, 11, or 12 completion, ESL (English as a Second Language), or Basic Literacy.

First-time AUG applicants may only be funded for up to two courses, and must successfully complete both courses before being concurrently funded for more than two courses.

Adult Upgrading Grant Application

Mail the original completed application to:
TRU Open Learning, Student Awards & Financial Aid
805 TRU Way
Kamloops, B.C. V2C 0C8

Allow up to four weeks for processing.

Search To Top