Register for Open House
Join us on Saturday, October 21, 2023 for a fun filled day of activities and experience TRU. This is a community event - all are welcome!
Learn more   
Skip to main contentSkip Navigation or Skip to Content

Award FAQs


 How do I find out what scholarships and awards are offered at Thompson Rivers University?

Anyone can browse the entire awards inventory in the Awards Guide to see every scholarship, award and bursary offered.

 What awards am I eligible for?

Every award has different requirements. Some are based on your GPA or your program of study while others look at activities and financial need. Most awards only require a single general application through myTRU. Review the online criteria for awards that have requirements in the Description column, then complete the applicable application when it is open.

 I'm an international student — what awards are available to me?

As an international student, you are automatically considered for all GPA based awards and awards that are selected by faculty. You are also eligible for Thompson Rivers University merit based awards. International students are not considered for awards that are based on financial need (bursaries).

 I’m a Canadian Indigenous student — what awards are available to me?

For a list of the approximately 49 awards available exclusively to Indigenous students, go to the Awards Guide, then in Filter Options, under Award Category select Indigenous Awards.

 How do I apply for awards?

Apply using the Thompson Rivers University Awards online applications through myTRU.

 Which award am I receiving, and how much is it?

During the adjudication process each semester, we're unable to provide any details until the overall adjudication is finalized. However, you can view awards and funds you have received in your myTRU account by selecting "Awards and funds received" under Student Awards & Financial Aid.

 Who do I talk to about athletic awards I am expecting to receive?

If you are expecting to receive Athletic awards but have not yet been notified by our office, please contact either your coach or the Athletics office.

 How do external scholarships get applied to my student account?

External scholarships that are sent to Thompson Rivers University are applied directly to your student account - as long as you meet the criteria. Once the scholarship is applied to your account, it will reduce the amount of fees owing, Student Awards will issue you a cheque.

 How are award/scholarship/bursary funds given to students?

Unless otherwise specified, funds are applied directly to your account toward the balance owing. Once the account balance has been paid, remaining funds are issued as a cheque and mailed to your current mailing address on file. It is important to make sure your current mailing address is up to date.

 Where do I go to get my Registered Educational Saving Program form (RESP) signed?

Scan and email your signed RESP form to The Student Awards & Financial Aid office is not authorized to complete these forms.

Search To Top