This course is designed to build on the learner’s existing nursing knowledge and clinical
competency. The focus is on understanding and applying principles of safety that underpin
technical skills and on ensuring the learner’s knowledge reflects contemporary nursing
practice in diverse practice settings.
By working through the activities in NURS 3641, you will:
- Advance your knowledge, confidence and safe performance of psychomotor skills common to
- Extend your ability to promote safe nursing practice, for yourself and others
- Enhance your ability to teach skills to others based on the principles of assigning
delegating nursing tasks, evidence-informed decisions and best practice guidelines
- Promote your inquiry skills and resourcefulness
- Refresh your critical thinking in relation to math for medications
- Augment your communication skills
- Module 1: Safety
- Module 2: Assessment & Prioritization
- Module 3: Cardiopulmonary Nursing Considerations
- Module 4: Infection Prevention and Control
- Module 5: Wound Care / Wound Healing
- Module 6: Gastro Intestinal / Genitourinary (GI/GU) Nursing Considerations
- Module 7: Pain & Comfort
- Module 8: Medication Administration
- Module 9: IV Therapy
- Module 10: Blood and Blood Products
Required text and materials
The following Open Education Resources (OER) textbook, free of charge, is required for this
- Anderson, R., Doyle, G. R., & McCutcheon, J. A. (2018). Clinical procedures for safer patient care (Thompson Rivers University ed.). (CC BY 4.0)
Students will purchase the following kit. This kit will be shipped to the Nursing building
and it will be held for you and available for you when you attend NURS 3643 in-person lab:
- Nurse Refresher Lab Kit
The following textbook would have been purchased in HLTH 3611. Students who did not take HLTH
3611 and/or don't already own the required textbook, will need to purchase it. To do so,
please contact Enrolment Services at email@example.com or
1.800.663.9711 (toll-free in Canada), 250.852.7000 (Kamloops, BC), and 1.250.852.7000
- Potter, P. A., Perry, A. G., Stockert, P.A., & Hall, A.M. (2019). In B.J. Astle, &
W. Duggleby (Canadian Eds.), Canadian fundamentals of nursing (6th ed.).
Toronto, ON: Elsevier Canada.
Type: Textbook. ISBN: 978-1-77172-113-4
Please be aware that should your course have a final exam, you are responsible for the fee to the online proctoring service, ProctorU, or to the in-person approved Testing Centre. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 60% or higher
on the overall course, 90% or higher on the mandatory Math for Medications Quiz, and 60% or
higher on the mandatory Final Exam.
|Assignment 1: Assessment and Prioritization
|Assignment 2: Pressure Injury Risk Assessment
|Assignment 3: Case Study: Tubes for Gastric Decompression
|Quiz: Math for Medications (mandatory)
|Final Exam (mandatory)
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.