Note: Students who complete MATH 0523 will meet the ABE Advanced Level (Grade 11) Math learning outcomes and competencies for transfer credit as stated in the BC Provincial Government’s publication Adult Basic Education: A Guide to Upgrading in British Columbia’s Public Post-Secondary Institutions – An Articulation Handbook at http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/education/post-secondary-education/adult-education/2016-17_abe_guide.pdf
This advanced-level algebra course is equivalent to Grade 11 algebra. The course includes an optional review component for students who have not studied algebra for some time. Topics include equations, graphs, polynomials, rational equations, radical equations, and trigonometry.
MATH 0401 or Grade 10 algebra or equivalent is required.
A Mathematics Self-Assessment Tests are available online at http://www.tru.ca/distance/services/advising.html#assessments.
- Unit 1: Solving Equations; Formulas and Applications; Applications and Problem Solving; Sets, Inequalities, and Interval Notation; Intersections, Unions, and Compound Inequalities; Absolute-Value Equations and Inequalities.
- Unit 2: Graphs and Equations; Functions and Graphs; Finding Domain and Range; Linear Functions: Graphs and Slope; More on Graphing Linear Equations; Finding Equations of Lines; Applications.
- Unit 3: Systems of Equations in Two Variables; Solving by Substitution; Solving by Elimination; Solving Applied Problems: Two Equations; Systems of Equations in Three Variables; Solving Applied Problems: Three Equations; Systems of Inequalities in Two Variables; Business and Economics Applications
- Unit 4: Introduction to Polynomials and Polynomial Functions; Multiplication of Polynomials; Introduction to Factoring; Factoring Trinomials; Special Factoring; Factoring: A General Strategy; Applications of Polynomial Equations and Functions.
- Unit 5: Rational Expressions and Functions: Multiplying, Dividing, and Simplifying; LCMs, LCDs, Addition, and Subtraction; Division of Polynomials; Complex Rational Expressions; Solving Rational Equations; Applications and Proportions; Formulas and Applications; Variation and Applications.
- Unit 6: Radical Expressions and Functions; Rational Numbers as Exponents; Simplifying Radical Expressions; Addition, Subtraction, and More Multiplication; More on Division of Radical Expressions; Solving Radical Equations; Applications Involving Powers and Roots; The Complex Numbers.
- Unit 7: The Basics of Solving Quadratic Equations; The Quadratic Formula; Applications Involving Quadratic Equations; More on Quadratic Equations; Graphing; Mathematical Modeling with Quadratic Functions; Polynomial and Rational Inequalities.
- Unit 8: Introduction to trigonometry: trigonometric ratios; solving right triangles, applications and problem-solving; the law of sines and the law of cosines; solving oblique triangles, applications and problem-solving.
Maximum Completion30 weeks.
Required Text and Materials
Students will receive all course materials including the textbooks in their course package .
- Bittinger, M. L., Beecher, J. A., & Johnson, B. L. Intermediate Algebra. 12th ed. Boston: Pearson, 2015.
Type: Textbook ISBN-10: 0-321-92471-1, ISBN-13: 978-0-321-92471-1
- Bittinger, Marvin L.. Students Solutions Manual for Intermediate Algebra. 12th ed. Boston: Pearson, 2015.
Type: Textbook ISBN-10: 0-321-92474-6, ISBN-13: 978-0-321-92474-2
- Rudolph, G. B. Introductory Trigonometry: A Triangular Approach with Applications. Vancouver, BC: 49th Avenue Press, 1992.
Type: Trigonometry Supplement ISBN: 1-8966-6104-1
A scientific calculator is provided in your course package.
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty member is available to assist students. Primary communication is through the Learning Environment's "Mail" took or by phone. Students will receive the necessary contact information at the start of the course.
To successfully complete this course, students must achieve a passing grade of 50% or higher on the overall course and 50% or higher on the final mandatory exam.
|Final Examination *||40%|