Health 1: Interpersonal Communications
This course focuses on the development of self-awareness, increased understanding of others and development of effective interpersonal communication skills that can be used in a variety of care giving contexts. Students are encouraged to become more aware of the impact of their own com-munication choices and patterns. Participants develop and use communication techniques that demonstrate personal awareness, respect and active listening skills.
Admission to the Health Care Assistant Program.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- *Identify the characteristics and qualities of effective interpersonal communications.
- *Discuss the interrelationships between self-awareness, self-esteem, and perception as these relate to communication choices and patterns.
- *Demonstrate effective, caring interpersonal communication with clients/residents, colleagues, and others.
- *Apply self-reflection and self-appraisal processes in order to increase your own effectiveness in interpersonal contexts.
*From: BC Ministry of Advanced Education. (2015). Health Care Assistant Program: Provincial Curriculum Guide 2015, 43-44. Province of British Columbia. http://urls.bccampus.ca/2yx . Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 unported license. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/
- Introduction to Interpersonal Communication
- Knowledge of self
- Non-verbal communication
- Responding to others
- Conflict Management and Resolution
Maximum Completion30 weeks.
Required Text and Materials
- Sorrentino S. A., Remmert, L., Wilk M. J. Mosby's Canadian Textbook for the Support Worker. 4th edition. Elseivier/Mosby Inc, 2018.
Type: Textbook, ISBN: 9781771720434
- Sorrentino S. A., Remmert, L., Wilk M. J. Workbook to accompany Mosby's Canadian Textbook for the Support Worker. 4th edition. Elseivier/Mosby Inc, 2018.
Type: Workbook, ISBN: 9781771721271
- Mosby Inc. Mosby's Nursing Assistant Video Skills. 4th Edition . Elseivier/Mosby Inc, 2015.
Type: DVD, ISBN: 978-0-323-22244-0
Package ISBN: 978-1-77172-133-2 (*the package includes all items listed above)
Note: DVD is not required in this course but will be needed later in the program.
*It is possible to complete this program with the 3rd edition of the text package.
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty Member is available to assist students. Primary communication is through the Learning Environment's "Mail" tool or by phone. Students will receive the necessary contact information at start of course.
|Assignment 1: Verbal and Non-Verbal Communication||10%|
|Assignment 2: Perception Checking||5%|
|Quiz (Lessons 1 - 4)||25%|
|Assignment 3: Paraphrasing||5%|
|Assignment 4: Empathic Responding||10%|
|Assignment 5: Assertive Communication||5%|
|Assignment 6: Communication Skill Review||5%|
|Final Examination *||35%|
Students in the Health Care Assistant Program must achieve a minimum grade of 70% on the mandatory final exam and in the course overall. Students must achieve a minimum of 70% in each required theory course and a COM (complete) for the competency based portions of laboratory and practicum courses to pass the program. Students must pass each course to continue in the program.
Students cannot re-write failed assessments and, if unsuccessful on a second attempt at any course, will be asked to withdraw from the program.
All Program courses must be completed within 3 years of initial course enrolment.