Introduction to Production and Operations Management
This course examines the functional area of production and operations management in the manufacturing industry. Topics include decision-making, capacity planning, aggregate planning, forecasting, inventory management, distribution planning, materials requirements planning (MRP), project management and quality control.
STAT 1201; MATH 1171, 1091 or 150 are recommended. Students are required to be comfortable with basic algebra.
Upon successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate an awareness and an appreciation of the importance of the operations and supply management to the sustainability of an enterprise.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of project management.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the importance of facility layouts.
- Explain the importance of quality control.
- Apply techniques to measure quality control.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the problems of waiting lines.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of just-in-time systems.
- Explain the importance of forecasting.
- Demonstrate the ability to apply some mathematical forecasting techniques.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concept of aggregate planning.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the problems involved in inventory management.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the principles underlying materials requirements planning.
- Develop basic materials requirement schedules.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concepts of operations scheduling.
- Unit 1: Introduction to Operations and Supply Management
- Unit 2: Project Management
- Unit 3: Manufacturing Processes and Facility Layout
- Unit 4: Service Processes and Waiting Lines
- Unit 5: Quality Management
- Unit 6: Lean Manufacturing
- Unit 7: Demand Management and Forecasting
- Unit 8: Aggregate Sales and Operational Planning
- Unit 9: Inventory Control
- Unit 10: Material Requirements Planning
- Unit 11: Scheduling
Required Text and Materials
Chase, R. B. Aquilano, N. J. Jacobs, F. R. Boston. Operations & Supply Management. 12th ed. McGraw-Hill/Irwin, Inc, 2009.
Type: Textbook: ISBN: 9780073403298
NOTE: Students will receive a custom text printed by the publisher.
The ISBN is: 9781121517110 / 1121517110. This textbook differs from the one noted above.
Open Learning Faculty Member Information
An Open Learning Faculty member is available to assist students. Primary communication is by phone at a mutually convenient time. You will receive the necessary contact information when you start your course.
The final grade for the course is based on four assignments and the invigilated final exam. In order to successfully complete this course, students must obtain at least 50% on the final mandatory examination and 50% in the course overall.
Go to Top