Sustainability Grant Funds
Now accepting applications. You could receive up to $100,000
The TRU Sustainability Grant Fund was created to advance environmental, economic and social sustainability at TRU. A total of $100,000 is available for the annual application intake. In addition, unused funds from previous years are available.
Grants are awarded to improve TRU’s operational environmental performance, foster sustainability literacy and campus community engagement, advance applied research, and demonstrate the viability of sustainability technologies. The fund accepts small or large project proposals from TRU students, staff and faculty, and is administered by the TRU Office of Environment and Sustainability. In addition to supporting sustainability-related research, the SGF is also open to all TRU faculty who require financial support with article processing and other open access publication charges. All research must be posted in TRU's open access repository and made publicly available. There is funding available for faculty as an incentive to publish to TRU's open access repository; the funding covers any fees associated with the review and publication process.
Proposed projects must support the goals and objectives outlined in TRU’s Environmental Policy. They must be consistent with the major planning documents of the university, including the Campus Master Plan, the Strategic Plan, The Academic Plan and the TRU Strategic Sustainability Plan. Before applying, prospective applicants should consult the following five documents, which appear as links below: Terms of Reference; Pre-Proposal; Proposal; and Budget Template and Purchasing Guideline, both of which accompany the Proposal.
All proposals must be accompanied by an original 90-120 second YouTube video.
Key dates and deadlines
- Nov. 4, 2019: Pre-proposal deadline (500 words)
- Nov. 15, 2019: Pre-proposal returned — with comments from TRU Sustainability
- Nov. 21, 2019: Grant writing workshop — 4 to 5 p.m. in the TRUSU Red Room. This is a voluntary workshop open to everyone.
- Feb. 13, 2020: Full proposal deadline — this includes an original 90- to 120-second YouTube video about the project.
- March 6, 2020: Proponents notified on the outcome of their proposal
- March 5, 2021: Awarded funds must be used.
- Terms of Reference 2019-2020
- Pre-Proposal 2019-2020
- Proposal 2019-2020
- TRU Sustainability Grant Fund Budget Template
- TRU Sustainability Grant Fund Purchasing Guideline
- TRU Campus Master Plan
- TRU Academic Plan
- Campus Strategic Sustainability Plan