Seniors Living Management Certificate
If you are already working or have worked in the seniors residences industry, you may have prior courses that can transfer in as credit courses. In addition, PLAR (prior learning assessment and recognition) credits may also be available.
- Open admission
- Ability to use a computer and the Internet at a basic skill level
Following program admission and prior to enrolment in a practicum course, a Consent to a Criminal Record Check form must be completed and submitted.
A clear, current criminal record is a pre-practicum and pre-employment requirement. A criminal record may limit practicum placement and prevent program completion. Refer to this website.
Experience working or volunteering with active seniors
A minimum of six TRU credits (distance or on-campus)
Certificate Requirements (23 credits)
23 credits total, with a grade point average (GPA) of 2.00 or higher over all courses required for this credential, as follows:
- MNGT 1211, Management Principles and Practices (3)
- MNGT 2131, Motivation and Productivity (3)
- HRMN 2821 Human Resource Management (3)
- HLTH 1021, Nutrition for Health and Changing Lifestyles* (3)
- HLTH 3711, Healthy Aging: A Contemporary Perspective* (3)
- HLTH 3713, Seniors Residential Site Operations (5)
- HLTH 2707, Seniors Living Observational Practicum (1)
- HLTH 3707, Seniors Living Project Practicum (2)
Courses that have a practicum component are held in BC and are available only to BC residents. If you live outside BC but want to complete the program, you may participate at practicum sites in BC, if appropriate arrangements can be made.
Practicum courses may be limited by geographic location, time of year, and space and enrolment. Practicum placements cannot be guaranteed in your home region.
Punctual attendance and active participation is required.