Update on Bike Sharing
The Sustainability Office understands that getting outside is important. Cycling is a great way to get outside and get some exercise while maintaining distances as recommended by health authorities. But please keep in mind that while cycling everyone needs to be extra conservative and careful as to not risk injury and further burden the health care system. Bikes will be cleaned and sanitized after each use. Bikes can only be rented on a weekly basis, and must be picked up Tuesdays from noon to 2 p.m., and dropped Mondays between noon and 2 p.m. Please be on time.Reserve a bike
The Sustainability Office has several bikes that can be reserved online. You need to use either an @mytru.ca or @tru.ca email.
As of Oct. 15, 2020, our schedule has changed.
- COVID-19 safety protocols are in place. Please wear a mask during pickup and drop-off.
- You can reserve bikes for either two or three days, twice per month.
- The TRU Bike Share program ends Nov. 30, 2020, and will restart in the spring.
- Only electric bikes are available.
- You need your own helmet when riding (the law in BC), and to sign a liability waiver.
- Locks are supplied with all TRU bikes and are highly recommended to use at all times.
- Do not leave a bike outside overnight — even if it is locked.
- Pickup of bikes is Monday, Wednesday or Friday between 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Please be on time.
- Drop-off of bikes is Monday, Wednesday or Friday between 12:30 p.m. and 2 p.m. Please be on time.
- If you pick up on Monday, you need to drop off on Wednesday.
- If you pick up on Wednesday, you need to drop off on Friday.
- If you pick up on Friday, you need to drop off on Monday.
- Please inform staff during drop-off if anything is wrong with the bike so that it can fixed in time for the next person to use it.
- Please respect and treat the bikes as if they were your own. That way others can enjoy them, too.
- Questions can be directed to James Gordon at the Sustainability Office.
Employee e-bike discounts
The TRU Employee E-Bike Purchase program allows employees to apply for an incentive of 10 percent off the purchase value of an e-bike, up to $300 total. To assist in the purchase of higher-value bikes, employees that have permanent, full-time status may apply for financing with up to a two-year repayment period and employees on a contract term with TRU may apply for financing up to the end of their contract term.
There are three forms for the purchase program; not all of them are needed for every application.
- The health and wellness rebate form is used to apply for the 10 percent rebate and the smart lock program.
- The financing application form is used to apply for payroll deductions.
- The cheque requisition form is only to be used to pay vendors directly.
More details on the finance agreement can be found within the form itself. If you want to talk about which ebike might be best for you, or want help with the details of the paperwork, please contact email@example.com.
Seasonal commuter parking pass
As a thank-you to employees for using alternative transportation, TRU is offering a Seasonal Commuter parking permit to cyclists. Register your bike with the Sustainability office to be eligible for a Seasonal Commuter permit valid from Nov. 15, 2019 to Mar. 15, 2020 for either economy ($200) or general ($250) lots.
Cycle until mid-November, park during winter weather, resume cycling in March, and save the equivalent of one semester of parking! Up to 100 permits are available (first-come, first-served)—register by Sept. 30, then purchase your Seasonal Commuter permit at the parking desk in the Bookstore.
Bicycle parking cages have been installed under the stairwells in Old Main, Arts and Education, Open Learning, and Trades. All lockers store six bicycles and are available on a first-come-first-served basis to those registered. Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to start the application. McGill Residence also has separate secure bicycle storage available for students who live there.
Racks are found in and around every building on campus. Check the campus map.
Shower facilities are available across campus in select buildings.