Administrative Assistant Certificate
Not currently accepting applications.
The Administrative Assistant Certificate (on-campus) is completed over an eight-month period and prepares students for employment in a variety of office positions. Emphasis is placed on developing a student's communication, software application and accounting skills and their ability to work effectively as part of a team.
After completing the Administrative Assistant Certificate, graduates can pursue the Certified Administrative Professional (CAP) or Organizational Management (OM) designation. They can also ladder into the Executive Assistant Diploma and then possibly a business degree either on-campus or online.
Those who complete just the Fall Semester courses will be awarded a Business Fundamentals Certificate. This will qualify graduates for some entry-level office administration positions, but further study is recommended.
Upon completion of this program, students are able to:
- Transcribe data at a keyboarding speed of 50 words per minute or more.
- Write and/or edit grammatically accurate, well styled business documents.
- Prepare professional business documents including memorandums, letters, reports, newsletters and advertising flyers using word processing and specialized desktop publishing applications.
- Use spreadsheet software to organize, analyze and present operational data.
- Use data base management software to organize, analyze and present operational data.
- Create business presentations incorporating graphical, sound and video features.
- Maintain the financial records of a small business using computerized accounting software.
- Design and update a simple website for an organization.
- Interact successfully with clients, co-workers and superiors.
- Apply administrative office procedures using current business technology.
- Demonstrate effective resume writing, interview and other job search skills.
- BC Grade 11 (Grade 12 preferred) or mature student status
- Minimum keyboarding speed of 25 net words per minute
- English 12/English 12 First Peoples with a minimum of 67 per cent or equivalent
|ABTS 1100||Word Processing 1|
|ABTS 1130||Keyboarding 1|
|ABTS 1200||Introduction to Computers|
|ABTS 1210||Spreadsheets 1|
|ABTS 1300||Business English|
|ABTS 1430||Accounting 1|
|ABTS 1500||Human Relations|
|ABTS 1110||Word Processing 2|
|ABTS 1120||Desktop Publishing|
|ABTS 1140||Keyboarding 2|
|ABTS 1220||Spreadsheets 2|
|ABTS 1240||Presentation Software|
|ABTS 1250||Integrated Project|
|ABTS 1260||Web Site Maintenance and Design|
|ABTS 1310||Business Communications|
|ABTS 1410||Computerized Accounting - SAGE|
|ABTS 1440||Accounting 2|
|ABTS 1510||Job Search|
|ABTS 1530||Administrative Procedures|
Students must achieve a grade of C or better (vocational program grading scale) in all courses to graduate.