Parking Lottery 2023/24
Lotteries for premium and reserved permits for the 2023/24 year open on the TRU hangTag portal on Wednesday, July 5.
Apply for your preferred lot(s), choose one permit type only — for example, monthly recurring. Choosing more than one permit per lot does not increase your chances and complicates the awarding phase.
The reserved lottery closes after premium so if you do not receive a premium permit, there's still time to enter for a reserved permit.
See the parking map to view the premium and reserved lots in effect starting Sept. 1, 2023. Please check the locations of each lot before applying.
The parking map is in the process of being updated. These updates not yet reflected:
- Lot S will become a general lot in Fall 2023
- Lot D2 will become a reserved lot in Fall 2023
You are not eligible to win more than once for the same lottery. If you are offered a premium permit and decline it, your remaining options are to enter the reserved lottery (closes Aug. 8) or to purchase a general or economy permit (open Aug. 9).
After premium applications close on July 25, the premium lottery will be drawn in this order: C, V1 and T2. Once all available permits are allotted for lot C, those recipients of lot C permits are removed from the premium lottery and will be notified to accept or decline their permits. The available permits for lot V1 are allotted next, and those recipients removed, etc.
If, for example, you apply for lots C and V1, and you are one of the recipients of a lot C permit, you will be removed from the list drawing for lot V1 permits. If you are offered a lot V1 permit—drawn second after C you can assume you were unsuccessful in the draw for lot C.
After reserved applications close on Aug. 8 the reserved lottery will be drawn in this order: A3, B, L, L1, D1, D2, K, and EC, following the same process as premium, above. Note, because 2022/23 reserved permit-holders are eligible to renew their current permits, there may be few or no available spaces for new applicants in some lots.
How to enter the lottery
- Log into the TRU hangTag portal, set up a new account if you don’t yet have one.
- Ensure your credit card information and vehicle license plate number(s) are accurate.
- On the "Buy ePermits" tab, click on the "ePermit Group" button and choose Premium and/or Reserved. Select ‘APPLY,’ at the bottom of the list.
- STAFF ONLY: Please select ePermit with “Payroll Deduction” in the name; otherwise, it will ask you for credit card information. Please make your selection carefully to ensure you have chosen the right lot and the permit type you want.
- Click the "Join Waitlist” button for each ePermit you want. This will send the Parking Office a notification to add you to the lottery for that premium or reserved lot. You will receive a confirmation email from hangTag support; ensure they are on your safe sender list.
Notifications to confirm permit purchase
The premium permit lottery closes at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, July 25. Notifications to recipients begin on July 26. The reserved permit lottery closes at 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 8. Notifications to recipients will begin on Aug. 9.
If you are allotted a permit, you will receive a permit offer from hangTag by email. You will have seven days (including weekends) to accept or decline your permit, via a link in the email. This link will work on any device with a web browser.
Payment is by credit card on the date you click accept, or by payroll deduction beginning on the effective date of your permit, Sept. 1, 2023.
Wait list begins Aug. 18
Anyone who missed the lottery or was not successful in getting a premium or reserved permit can apply, starting 9am Aug. 18, to be on a wait list if permits become available. Lottery applicants will not be automatically added to the August wait list — you must re-apply.
Any declined, cancelled or unsold premium or reserved permits will be allotted automatically to wait list applicants on a first-come, first-served basis starting Aug. 18 and continuing into fall semester. Recipients from the wait list will have only three days to accept or decline the permit offered before it is offered to the next person on the list. Look for future communications about the wait list in July.