If you discover a fire in a building:
- Do not panic. Stay calm.
- Pull the nearest fire alarm immediately (located in most hallways and near exits).
- Evacuate the building by the nearest exit immediately. If the fire is in a room, and it is safe, shut the door as you leave.
- If you see someone who needs help getting to an exit, help them if you can. Move them to an exit of fire safe stairwell. If you cannot get the person out of the building, tell them you are going for help and find a security guard, a fire warden or a firefighter and let them know someone needs help.
- Go to an emergency assembly area.
- Report to the fire warden.
Once you are safely out of the building you can call 1-1-1-1 or 9-1-1 and provide the following information:
- Precise location of the fire
- Your name
- How fast the fire is spreading
- People who are trapped
Only use a fire extinguisher:
- If the fire is the size of a small waste basket
- Or if you know how
- Or if you cannot evacuate
In all other cases, it is safer to leave than try to stop the spread of the fire.