Skip to main contentSkip Navigation or Skip to Content
Thompson Rivers University
Thompson Rivers University

Transfer Credit Definitions

Direct Equivalent:
A direct equivalent is granted for a specific course when the course has a minimum 80% course content and learning outcomes overlap with a TRU course. The direct TRU course equivalent appears as transfer credits in your TRU record and, where applicable, will directly fulfill a program requirement in your DegreeWorks program plan.

e.g.: Babcock University ECON 102 (3) = TRU ECON 1900 (3)

Unspecified Credit:
Unspecified credit, also referred to as unassigned or general credit, may be granted for a course when an exact TRU equivalent does not exist, or TRU does not offer the same subject area. The unspecified equivalent will be given a subject code in the same or related subject area, applicable year level, credit value, and the credit may be used towards meeting general education requirements or for elective courses.

e.g.: University of Manitoba CLAS 2210 (3) = TRU HUEL 2XX0 (3)

University of Manitoba BIOL 2260 (3) = TRU BIOL 2XX0 (3)

Course Exemption:
An exemption refers to the waiving of, or meeting of, a prerequisite or required course even if the original course does not significantly match a specific TRU course.

While the receiving/external course is granted unspecified credit in the same or related subject area, it can be used to substitute the exempted course and the credits will count towards your program requirements. If the course is required for your program, then you would not need to take the exempted course at TRU. In your TRU record and on your transcript only the unspecified credit appears.

e.g.: Douglas College ANTH 120 (3) = TRU ARCH 1XX0 (3); exemption for TRU ARCH 2230 (3)

Course Exclusion:
An exclusion refers to if the receiving/external course has insufficient course content and learning outcomes overlap with a specific TRU course. While it is granted unspecified credit, it cannot be used to substitute the direct TRU course equivalent.

e.g.: Douglas College CMNS 2316 (3) = TRU CMNS 2XX0 (3); exclude TRU CMNS 2170 (3) from additional credit

If the excluded course, e.g., TRU CMNS 2170, is required in your degree program, you would be required to take CMNS 2170, but you would not also receive credit for CMNS 2XX0.

If the excluded course, e.g., TRU CMNS 2170, is not required in your degree program, then you may be able to use the CMNS 2XX0 towards general education requirements or for elective courses.

Course Waiver:
A waiver refers to a receiving/an external course, or courses, that is deemed equivalent to a direct TRU course within a degree program based on the content of the receiving/external course, diploma, or series/block of courses. Credit hours are not waived, only the specific course requirement.

If a course from your completed degree program is deemed equivalent to a TRU course program requirement, then the TRU course requirement may be waived but the credits need to be made up at the identical level of the waived course. A course waiver is not added to your official TRU record as transfer credit.

e.g.: Savitribai Phule Pune University MBA SI.105 Organizational Behaviour (3) from a completed MBA program = at the discretion of the Program Advisor a waiver may possibly apply for TRU ORGB 2810 to fulfill this program requirement. You will need to make up the missing credits at the required year level.

Block Credit:
Block Credit refers to a predetermined number of transfer credits granted if you have successfully completed a certificate, a diploma, or a group of courses at another post-secondary institution. At TRU, block transfer is used to award credit for courses that, as a group, are recognized as a whole for transfer credit and collectively satisfy part of the requirements for another credential.

Official Transcript/Academic Documents:
This is your permanent record that your previous institution(s) issue(s) and submits directly to other institutions, such as to TRU. Transcripts must be sent directly from all your previous institutions to TRU’s Admissions office (Campus, Open Learning, or International).

Documentation standards vary by country.

In the international context these documents can also be referred to as Academic Record, Statement of Grades/Marks, Grades Report/Cards, Term/Semester Grades/Marks Cards/Sheets, Backlog Certificate, Degree/Credential Certificate, etc., and will be required. Consult Admissions for details.

Course Outline:
A course outline, syllabus, module, handbook, curriculum, etc. describes the course in detail and specifies the course aims and learning outcomes, course requirements, textbooks, pre-requisites and/or corequisites, detailed information on assignments, modules/units, and methods of course assessment.

Please note, this is different from a course description, which is a short summary of a course and usually found in an academic calendar. Course descriptions are not sufficient to evaluate for transfer credit.

Program Applicability:
This refers to how the courses you have taken at TRU, or you have received transfer credits for, may apply towards your TRU program requirements. You may receive transfer credits for courses, but they may not all apply to your program. Your program advisor will determine which transfer courses apply to your program.

This refers to translations required for official documents such as transcripts, credentials, certifications, or course outlines that are in a language other than English or French; these must be from a certified translator but do not need to be notarized by a lawyer or notary.

Letter of Permission (LOP):
A LOP refers to a document that grants permission in advance to complete a course at another recognized postsecondary institution (on campus or online) as a visiting student. A LOP confirms that the academic credit to be taken will transfer and can be applied to your TRU program.

Recognized Institution:
Refers to a postsecondary institution that is authorized to award credentials (academic undergraduate and/or graduate degrees/certifications) by a Ministry of Higher Education or similar government/quality assurance authority. Professional bodies sometimes do not meet that higher education quality assurance standard.

Search To Top