Veterinary Technology Diploma
(formerly Animal Health Technology Diploma)
Interact daily with a menagerie of small animals and gain experience with livestock, wildlife and birds as a veterinary technician, assisting veterinarians and veterinary scientists. The Veterinary Technology program gives you the skills to work in diagnostic testing, radiography, medical procedures, office protocol, animal nursing, anesthesia, and surgical assistance.
Although most graduates are employed in private veterinary practices, positions may be obtained in the emerging biotechnical fields, animal shelters, zoological parks and other animal oriented areas in the public and private sectors.
- Grade 12 (or equivalent)
- Foundations of Math 11 with a minimum C+ (or equivalent)
- Chemistry 11 with a minimum C+ (or equivalent)
- Life Sciences 11 with a minimum C+ (or equivalent)
- Anatomy & Physiology 12, Chemistry 12 or Physics 12 with a minimum C+ (or equivalent). Anatomy & Physiology 12 is recommended.
- English Studies 12/English First Peoples 12 with a minimum C+ (or equivalent)
If you don’t meet the requirements
- Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status
- Accreditation of the TRU Veterinary Technology program indicates that applicants must have "an understanding of a career in veterinary technology". In order to accomplish this requirement the following 3 parts of the application must be completed.
- One reference form from each of the following two areas:
- Submission of result of Language Proficiency Index (LPI) results if applicable
- If shortlisted, attend a mandatory virtual Program Orientation Session upon invitation from the Animal Health Department.
- Successful medical – upon acceptance
Note: Applicants should have an interest in working with and caring for animals. This includes such areas as farms, SPCA, wildlife refuges or any other animal oriented facility. Students should have a desire to develop manual and technical skills. Consultation with practicing Registered Veterinary Technologists is mandatory.
Specific questions about this program?