Costs are approximate and may be subject to change.
Costs prior to program
- $29.83 - Applying to HCA program (students new to TRU only)
- $35 - 45 Assessment test (if you do not have Grade 11/12 English, or if English is not your first language, testing is required)
- $155 - Standard First Aid with CPR (C) Certificate (TRU requires CPR-C re-certification if certificate date is older than 2 years prior to date of admission)
- $100 - Food Safe (Certificate is valid for 3 years - if your certificate is prior to 2014 it will have to be re-taken)
- $0-60 - Immunizations - completed by a health care provider using the TRU School of Nursing Immunization Record form. The immunizations are free but the cost of filling out the form is dependent on the physician office policy. Some may not charge if form is filled out during a booked appointment. Others may charge minimal amounts. Public Health does not charge.
- $28 - Criminal Record Check - this needs to be done through our office one to two months prior to entering the HCA program.
- $23 - (approximately) FIT testing for respiratory masks
Items may be purchased at the TRU Bookstore. Costs are approximate and may be subject to change.
- $110.00 - Mosby’s Canadian Textbook for the Support Worker, 4th Edition (2018), Sorrentino (textbook)
- $47.75 - Workbook for Mosby’s Canadian Textbook for the Support Worker, 4th Edition (2018), Sorrentino (workbook) - Optional
- $144.50 - Looking Out Looking In with Mindtap, 3rd Edition (2017), Adler (textbook)
- $54.00 - Fast Facts for Dementia Care:What Nurses Need to Know in a Nutshell, 1st Edition (2012), Miller (textbook) - Recommended
- $111.00 - Integrating a Palliative Approach, 2014, Murray (textbook)
- $45.50 - Integrating a Palliative Approach 2014, Murray (workbook) - Optional
- $11.00 - Merriam-Webster’s Medical Dictionary New Edition (2016) - Recommended
Course manuals — HCA HEAL 1000, 1010,1050,1100,1150,1200,1250/1300,1350 + an HCA handbook = 9 manuals will be available on line
- $40 - Navy blue scrubs (pants and top)
- $50-100 - School supplies - binders, paper, pens, ruler, hi-liter, 3-4 duo-tangs, disposable gloves, hand sanitizer
- $20 - 50 - Book bag, knap sack - something to carry manuals/books
- $50-100 - Closed-toed walking shoes for practicum
Costs during program
- $20 (approx) - Engraved nametag required during practica placements.
- $60 - Personal Safety course - This course is mandatory and will be arranged during the program
- $275 - 325 (approx.) for 19 weeks that students are in classes at TRU. They are in practica for 8 weeks) - Parking
- $100 - 400 Approximate transportation costs to and from facilities and home support for 8 weeks - this will depend greatly on the mode of transportation used.
- Free - Hep B and Flu shots free to all HCA students
- Gentle Persuasive Approaches course — Course and workbook are free. Course will be arranged during the program.