Costs are approximate and may be subject to change.
Costs prior to program
- $29.83 – Applying to HCA program (students new to TRU only)
- $35 - 45 – Assessment test (if you do not have Grade 11/12 English, or if English is not your first language, testing is required)
- $200 – Standard First Aid and Basic Life Support
- $105 – Food Safe (Certificate is valid for 3 years)
- $0 - 60 – Immunizations - completed by a health care provider using the TRU School of Nursing Immunization Record form. Immunizations are free but the cost of filling out the form is dependent on your physician’s office policy. Some may not charge if the form is filled out during a booked appointment. Others may charge minimal amounts. Public Health does not charge you.
- $28 – Criminal Record Check
- $50 – (approximately) FIT testing for respiratory masks
Course manuals (available online):
HEAL 1000, 1010, 1050, 1100, 1150, 1200, 1250/1300, 1350 and the HCA handbook
The following items may be purchased at the TRU Bookstore. Costs are approximate and may be subject to change.
- $120.00 – Sorrentino’s Canadian Textbook for the Support Worker, 5th Edition (2022) (textbook-required)
- $51.50 – Workbook for Sorrentino’s Canadian Textbook for the Support Worker, 5th Edition (2022) (Workbook-optional)
- $120.00 – Looking Out Looking In, 4th Edition (Dec 16 2019), Nelson Cengage Adapted (textbook-required)
- $54.00 – Fast Facts for Dementia Care: What Nurses Need to Know in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition (2020), Miller (textbook) (Recommended)
- $111.00 – Integrating a Palliative Approach (2014), Murray (textbook)
- $45.50 – Integrating a Palliative Approach (2014), Murray (workbook) (Optional)
- $11.00 – Merriam-Webster’s Medical Dictionary New Edition (2016) (Recommended)
- $40 – Navy blue scrubs (pants and top)
- $50 - 100 – School supplies such as binders, paper, pens, ruler, highlighters, 3-4 duo-tangs, disposable gloves, hand sanitizer
- $20 - 50 – Book bag, knapsack for carrying manuals/books
- $50 - 100 – Closed-toed walking shoes for practicum
- $20 (approx.) – Engraved nametag required during practica placements
- $275 - 325 (approx.) parking costs for the 19 weeks that students are in classes at TRU. Students are in practicum for eight weeks.
- $100 - 400 – Approximate transportation costs to and from facilities and home support for eight weeks (dependent on mode of transportation used)
- Free – Hep B and Flu shots are free to all HCA students (TRU Wellness Centre)
- Free – Gentle Persuasive Approaches course
- Free – Provincial Violence Prevention Curriculum