Costs are approximate and may be subject to change.
Costs prior to program
- $29.83 - Applying to HCA program (students new to TRU only)
- $35 - 45 Assessment test (if you do not have Grade 11/12 English, or if English is not your first language, testing is required)
- $155 - Standard First Aid with CPR (C) Certificate (TRU requires CPR-C re-certification if certificate date is older than 2 years prior to date of admission)
- $100 - Food Safe (Certificate is valid for 3 years - if your certificate is prior to 2014, you will have to take it again)
- $0-60 - Immunizations - completed by a health care provider using the TRU School of Nursing Immunization Record form. Immunizations are free but the cost of filling out the form is dependent on your physician’s office policy. Some may not charge if the form is filled out during a booked appointment. Others may charge minimal amounts. Public Health does not charge you.
- $28 - Criminal Record Check - this needs to be completed through our office one to two months prior to entering the HCA program.
- $23 - (approximately) FIT testing for respiratory masks
Course manuals (available online):
HEAL 1000, 1010, 1050, 1100, 1150, 1200, 1250/1300, 1350 and the HCA handbook
The following items may be purchased at the TRU Bookstore. Costs are approximate and may be subject to change.
- $110.00 – Mosby’s Canadian Textbook for the Support Worker, 5th Edition (2018), Sorrentino (textbook)
- $47.75 – Workbook for Mosby’s Canadian Textbook for the Support Worker, 5th Edition (2018), Sorrentino (workbook) (Optional)
- $144.50 – Looking Out Looking in with Mindtap, 4th Edition (Dec 16 2019), Nelson Cengage Adapted (textbook)
- $54.00 – Fast Facts for Dementia Care: What Nurses Need to Know in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition (2020), Miller (textbook) (Recommended)
- $111.00 – Integrating a Palliative Approach (2014), Murray (textbook)
- $45.50 – Integrating a Palliative Approach (2014), Murray (workbook) (Optional)
- $11.00 – Merriam-Webster’s Medical Dictionary New Edition (2016) (Recommended)
- $40 – Navy blue scrubs (pants and top)
- $50-100 – School supplies such as binders, paper, pens, ruler, highlighters, 3-4 duo-tangs, disposable gloves, hand sanitizer
- $20 - 50 – Book bag, knapsack for carrying manuals/books
- $50-100 – Closed-toed walking shoes for practicum
- $20 (approx.) – Engraved nametag required during practica placements
- $60 – Personal Safety course (mandatory)
- $275 - 325 (approx.) parking costs for the 19 weeks that students are in classes at TRU. Students are in practicum for eight weeks. (Note: Currently, due to the COVID situation, parking is free at most agencies.)
- $100 - 400 – Approximate transportation costs to and from facilities and home support for eight weeks (dependant on mode of transportation used)
- Free - Hep B and Flu shots are free to all HCA students
- Free – Gentle Persuasive Approaches course