Education and Skills Training Certificate (ESTR)
The ESTR (Education and Skills Training) program offers four certificates for students who have experienced barriers to employment to prepare them for entry level positions within the workforce.
Each nine-month certificate runs from September through May and is divided between classroom work and hands on experiential learning. Students will develop job readiness skills, may complete industry recognized certificates, and do other activities to prepare students for entry level positions within a number of areas of employment. These activities may include work experience in areas on campus or with local businesses.
ESTR certificates are:
- Career Exploration
- Kitchen Assistant
- Retail Worker
- Trades Assistant (not currently offered)
Not all certificates are offered each year- dependent on enrollment and funding.
Applicants may apply for enrolment into any of the programs offered.
Learning reinforced at worksites
ESTR students learn from real-life situations with practicums at businesses around Kamloops.
» Read our newsroom story
Applicants must be 18 years of age on or before October 1 of the year of entry.
- High school transcripts
- Reference letter (form will be provided by TRU Admissions)
- List of work or volunteer experience (form will be provided by TRU Admissions)
- If available, documentation of disability (e.g. Psychoeducational assessment) – to be brought to interview
Qualified applicants will be scheduled for an interview. The factors we consider in our selection are:
- Attitude and a desire to work
- Independence and previous work or volunteer experience
- Basic communication ability
- Ability to complete work without direct supervision
- Ability to arrange and manage own transportation to and from TRU and work placements