Education and Skills Training Certificate (ESTR)
The ESTR (Education and Skills Training) certificate program offers three certificates for students with diverse abilities to gain real-world work experience.
Each nine-month certificate runs from September through May and is divided between classes, lab experiences and work placements. You complete academic and employment skills classes while training in areas on campus and with local businesses. You are integrated into normalized working environments for the work experience portion of the program.
ESTR certificates are:
- Career Exploration
- Kitchen Assistant
- Retail Worker
Applicants with prior learning or work experience may be accepted directly into Kitchen Assistant or Retail Assistant.
Learning reinforced at worksites
ESTR students learn from real-life situations with practicums at businesses around Kamloops.
» Read our newsroom story
Applicants must be 18 years of age on or before October 1 of the year of entry.
- Information and application form (included in package)
- High school transcripts
- Reference letter (included in package)
- List of work or volunteer experience (included in package)
- Documentation of disability (e.g. Psychoeducational assessment) – to be brought to interview
- Attitude and a desire to work
- Independence and previous work or volunteer experience
- Basic communication ability
- Ability to complete work without direct supervision
- Ability to arrange and manage own transportation to and from TRU and work placements
Specific questions about this program?