Recommendations for Using Homework Sites
(Assumes the site stores personal information of users outside Canada)
Optional homework site participation
Mandatory homework site participation
The first step is to complete the Preliminary Privacy Impact Assessment (PPIA) and send it to email@example.com. Completing this form gives a high-level assessment about the personal information required to use the site. The form takes less than 10 minutes to complete.
In most cases there are two options that can be used to be FIPPA compliant. (When completing the PPIA include information on which option you are considering.)
- Students be permitted to anonymize themselves by using a pseudonym to register and use the site. This includes using an email address the is also anonymous for the student.
- Ask students to complete the Student Consent for Online Activities form.
The following information may assist in completing the form columns:
- Information – Include any personal information needed to set up the account, credit card information if paying through the site, as well as “interactions with the site”.
- To Whom – Name of the company the student is registering with (for example Pearson Publishing).
- Purpose – Include information that describes the reason the student is registering with the site (for example, to access homework materials).
Questions can be directed to the Privacy and Access office at firstname.lastname@example.org.