Adventure Guide Diploma
Setting the standard around the world for a broad spectrum of wilderness guide training, this intensive program will prepare you for exciting leadership positions in outdoor skills instruction and guiding. The field portion of your classes access BC’s exceptional recreational resources for whitewater and ocean pursuits, climbing and skiing.
Graduates work for many different kinds of adventure companies around the world. There are many businesses that are either owned by graduates of TRU, or are businesses that regularly employ graduates of our training programs.
- 19 years of age at the start of the program
- Completion of the Adventure Guide Certificate
- Application to the second year of the Adventure Guide Diploma in writing outlining the following:
- Enclose a personal resume and cover letter explaining why you wish to move into the program and how the program will help you attain your goals.
- Briefly outline the skills and experiences you gained in the Adventure Guide Certificate and how these have had a positive effect on your learning, leadership, professionalism, your peers, instructors and the program as a whole.
- Include your summer work practicum plans and how they fit into your educational and career goals.
- Fill out and submit an Outdoor Experience Log. This log should contain all outdoor experiences outside of course time during the past year.
- The department will review and consider student transcripts and GPA for the last year.
- Applicants are required to attend a Departmental Orientation session (in person or by phone), complete the Adventure Guide Diploma Application form, and attend an admissions interview.
Recommendations: Applicants in the Adventure Guide Diploma do so based upon their technical skill and experience level in at least one adventure sport. Entry is competitive and applications are screened to ensure an adequate level of outdoor recreation experience has been attained prior to entry to TRU.
Required supplementary documentation
- Letter of Intent
- Outdoor Experience Log
- Program Orientation Session
- Supplementary Application
- Admissions Interview
If you don’t meet the requirements
You can take upgrading courses at TRU to help you meet the requirements of this program.
» Talk to a student recruiter about your options. You may be eligible for free tuition. Or learn more about upgrading.
Apply to this program Visit the program website