All TRU students are required to have proper medical insurance for their entire period of study in Canada. If you are in the Adventure Studies program, please read these program-specific medical insurance requirements.
Private Insurance (guard.me)
We automatically enroll all students with guard.me insurance for the first three (3) months in Canada. If you are a visiting short-term student, you will have an option to keep guard.me until the end of your studies here. Please discuss with your ISA. The cost for this insurance for one person/month is $60 payable to TRU.
Government Insurance (MSP) Medical Service Plan of British Columbia
We will help you complete an online application for MSP insurance during Orientation. You will need a picture (jpg file) of your study permit to apply. The cost for this insurance for one person/month is CAD$37.50 payable to MSP. You have to be eligible to apply, please check here for more info: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents
During the orientation, we will present about medical insurance and provide more information.
What if I have or want to bring my own insurance coverage?Please note that guard.me medical insurance is one of the best and well-priced medical coverages across Canada and the world. If you are considering an alternative insurance, make sure you check out the guard.me medical insurance policy here: https://www.guard.me/tru (in your own language if applicable) prior to purchasing an alternative insurance. In case of doubt, please contact your ISA.
If you have medical insurance coverage from any of the providers listed below, you can opt-out of guard.me medical insurance.
- BC Medical Services Plan (BC MSP)
- Existing guard.me Plan
- Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau - GWL
- Canadian Bureau for International Education - CSF Plan
- Your alternative insurance you have purchased
The website where you can opt-out will be provided in your welcome email from your International Student Advisor. Your insurance will be reviewed and you will get a confirmation if you are able to opt out. At the same time, please let your ISA know, you are trying to opt out.
Exchange students have an option to opt out of guard.me medical insurance through the paperwork they receive from Study Abroad Program. Please also make sure you contact your ISA in order to verify you have properly opted out ahead of time. Here are some examples of the exchange student who are eligible to opt out:
- Bi-lateral exchange students with coverage provided by their home institution (example: Australian Universities)
- Bi-lateral exchange students with coverage provided by the government of their home country (example: Government of Austria)
- ISEP exchange students (ISEP exchange students are opted out automatically)
- If you are registered in any of the programs listed below AND have to take a field course, you will need to purchase additional insurance coverage because guard.me insurance specifically excludes some high-risk activities. Click HERE for more information:
- Adventure Sport Certificate
- Adventure Management Diploma
- Adventure Guide Diploma
- Post Baccalaureate Diploma in Adventure Studies
Extended Health & Dental Insurance (Greenshield - through TRU Student Union)
- Mandatory for students enrolled in 9 credits (full-time student status) or more
(Fall semester only)
- Exchange and visiting students are automatically opted out by TRUSU.
- The fee is charged to your TRU account.
- It covers you from September 1 to August 31 each year.
- Information: http://trusu.ca/services/health-dental
- Single - $248.00
- Spouse/Partner Add-On (one additional person) - $286.00
- Family Add-On (more than one additional person) - $382.00
Opting Out: If you already have extended health and dental coverage through another provider, you are able to apply to be opted out of the TRUSU Health and Dental Plan: http://trusu.ca/services/health-dental/opting-out
Opting In: http://trusu.ca/services/health-dental/opting-in
The following students MUST opt-in if they want coverage under the TRUSU Health and Dental Plan
- Winter semester students
- Summer semester students
- Exchange and visiting students
- Students who previously opted out
- Dependents of the above
In order to opt-in to the TRUSU Health and Dental program you must come to the Members’ Services Desk in the Students’ Union Building (located in the Campus Activity Centre). You will need to complete a Health and Dental Opt-In Form and pay the health and dental fee.