Water and Wastewater Technology
Diploma or Certificate
Water sustains life. Now, you can help sustain our precious water supplies. Gain job-ready skills to protect drinking water quality, safeguard water resources and ensure the sustainability of the water supplies that are crucial to public health and the environment.
- You will be prepared to operate and maintain water and wastewater treatment, distribution, re-use, and disposal facilities, as well as monitor source water quality.
- You’ll get your hands wet learning how chemistry, microbiology, mathematics, mechanical and electrical systems, instrumentation and treatment technologies are applied in the water industry.
- You will study environmental law, occupational health and safety, communications, and utility management.
- You will get hands-on practical training in the operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of water systems – because the program is based out of the state-of-the-art Kamloops Centre for Water Quality, you will get a firsthand look at where your career will take you.
Canada and British Columbia are facing shortages of educated and trained water and wastewater operators – you’ll be in demand upon graduation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of primary to advanced processes in the treatment of water and wastewater operations.
- Conduct source water quality sampling, laboratory analysis, regulatory reporting, data management and source protection.
- Identify and describe mechanical, electrical and instrumentation materials, equipment, infrastructure, facilities needed to operate water, wastewater, distribution and collection systems.
- Operate and maintain primary to advanced mechanical, electrical and instrumentation systems used in moving and treatment of water and wastewater.
- Troubleshoot, operate and maintain process equipment involved in treatment, distribution and collection of water and wastewater.
- Manage and lead in regulatory, safety and environmental concerns within the industry.
- Manage people, utility assets and finances.
- Perform security, safety and administrative procedures.
What employers and graduates say
Thompson Rivers University Water and Wastewater Technology program will continue to set industry benchmarks by providing educational excellence, expertise and hands on technical training. This will provide students with a strong foundation of skills that are desirable to any employer. David Paul Teasdale
Manager, Kamloops Centre for water Quality
BASc., Certified Level IV WT
For me, taking this program was the start of a lifelong career in the water industry. It has given me the opportunity to not only support my family, but my community as well. Jody Charlie
TRU Graduate, Level 1 Water Treatment Operator
for Lytton First Nation
This program prepared me for what I would face in the utility industry. It gave me a base of knowledge to work from and be successful. The water industry is growing and exciting. Once you have the education and work experience, you have great job prospects in all related industries. Greg Weatherhead
Water and Wastewater Utilities Certificate Graduate
Level 1 Utility Operator, Corix Utilities
- Primary, secondary and advanced water treatment and distribution operations
- Primary, secondary and advanced wastewater treatment and collection operations
- Water quality protection and monitoring
- Industrial water and wastewater treatment
- Grade 12 or equivalent