Anti-Racism Task Force
In October 2020, the Provost established an Anti-Racism Task Force. Co-chaired by Drs. Monica Sanchez-Flores and Rani Srivastava, the task force was formed to better understand the needs of TRU’s campus communities, particularly from the perspective of racialized groups and Indigenous people. The task force was asked to focus on:
- Identifying racism in all its forms as experienced by students, staff and faculty as well as from the broader community.
- Identifying opportunities in TRU’s policies, procedures, programs and practices to address racism.
- Reviewing and collecting information on other universities’ efforts to counter racism.
- Reflecting on TRU’s unique culture as an open access research university to inform the university’s commitment to social justice and belonging.
- Recommending initiatives that address the systemic racism at TRU.
The task force submitted its report in spring 2021. Recommendations contained within will help shape future actions at TRU. The full report can be found here.