Tourism Management Menu
Graduates of the Bachelor of Tourism Management will be able to:
Theme 1: Context of Tourism
- Contextualize tourism within broader cultural, environmental, political and economic dimensions of society.
- Critique tourism practices for their implications locally and globally.
Theme 2: Knowledge of Tourism
- Interpret and evaluate tourism as a phenomenon and as a business system.
- Explain the diverse nature of tourism, including culture and place, global/local perspectives, and experience design and provision.
- Identify and assess relationships and networks relative to building tourism capacity.
Theme 3: Professional Skills
- Apply relevant technology for the production and management of tourism experiences.
- Plan, lead, organize and control resources for effective and efficient tourism operations.
- Create, apply, and evaluate marketing strategies for tourism destinations and organizations.
- Develop and evaluate tourism policy and planning initiatives.
Theme 4: Ethics and Values
- Demonstrate commitment to ethical practices of tourism.
- Actively engage in the world as global citizens.
- Practice empathy and respect for diversity and multicultural perspectives.
- Apply principles of sustainability to the practice of tourism in the local and global context.
Theme 5: Research
- Acknowledge one or more philosophical perspectives to knowledge creation.
- Evaluate and apply various research methods commonly used in the context of tourism.
- Propose and conduct a research project to inform tourism practice.
Theme 6: Communication
- Select and deploy task-appropriate forms of oral, written, digital, and graphic communication.
- Value and practice active listening, critical thinking, and critical reading.
- Distinguish and produce forms of communication relevant to academia, business, government, and industry.
- Assess, evaluate, and employ appropriate communication tools for discussions within and between teams and members, various audiences, decision-making teams, and corporate communication tasks.
Theme 7: Critical Thinking & Problem Solving
- Apply problem solving and critical analysis within diverse contexts.
Theme 8: Leadership & Teamwork
- Work collaboratively in groups, both as a leader and a team member, in diverse environments, learning from and contributing to the learning of others.