This program covers care and use of hand tools and electrical instruments, installation and maintenance of electrical equipment, electrical theory and the Canadian Electrical Code. The program is designed to prepare you for employment in the electrical or related fields in residential, commercial and industrial environments. Graduates receive credit for first-year apprenticeship technical training.
Engage in extensive practical exercises to develop job readiness skills. At TRU, trades foundation training has the same structure as the real world of employment, with a rigorous schedule of start times and attendance requirements. Students who miss more than three days without prior approval may be asked to withdraw from the program.
- Grade 12 graduation or equivalent
- Placement on the Entry Assessment Test for English at an 0600 level
- Placement on the Entry Assessment Test for Math at an 0600 level
Admission of mature students
Any applicant at least 19 years old with a minimum two years out of school lacking requirements for a program or course will be considered for mature student status. Although the grade level requirement will be waived for students classified as mature, individual course prerequisites listed for the program or course being applied for must be met.
Students must supply their own approved safety glasses and boots.
Required tool list
Students need to purchase a Klein, Ideal or Greenlee starter tool/pouch kit which comes with 8-10 of the items listed below. Items not included must be purchased separately. All tools listed below are required for the program. Approximate cost is $400.
- Tool pouch
- Belt for tool pouch
- Hacksaw with 5-12" blades (32 teeth per blade)
- 1" wide x 24' metric/standard tape measure
- Utility knife
- Flat blade screwdriver (shank and handle length approx 9") blade width is 3/16"
- Flat blade heavy duty screwdriver (shank and handle length approx 11") blade width is 5/16"
- Robertson #8 screwdriver (total length 8-10")
- Robertson #6 screwdriver (total length 8-10")
- Slip joint pliers 10"
- High leverage side-cutting pliers with insulated comfort grips on handle (approx. 9" in length)
- High leverage diagonal-cutting pliers with insulated comfort grips on handles (approx. 8" in length)
- Wire stripper-cutters (strips wire up to #10 AWG)
- Needle nose pliers (approx. 8" in length)
- Phillips #2 screwdriver (total length approx. 8-10")
- 16 oz. hammer (hammer holder required, may come with tool pouch)
- 9 inch torpedo level (magnetic)