Adventure Studies Menu
Adventure Centre and Professional Services
The TRU Adventure Centre provides custom courses to businesses and organizations seeking expert training or industry certification. Examples are wide-ranging, but might include wilderness first aid, rope rescue, or avalanche rescue training. For more information, please contact us.
Faculty professional services
Faculty in the Adventure Studies Department are active in a variety of research and consulting projects around the world. These services are also available to other universities, colleges, schools, government, and industry.
This work includes the following:
- eco and adventure tourism product development
- corporate business training workshops
- keynote speaking
- advising government and community agencies
- conducting school accident investigations
- conducting rescue training
- advising whitewater operations
- coaching adventure sport performance
- developing adventure-related insurance programs
See Adventure Faculty for more information and faculty expertise areas.
Student project work
The adventure training provided at TRU is unique in the world, and students develop substantial expertise during their studies. Faculty believe that students need practical application of the principles they learn during their studies at TRU and work hard to provide current and relevant projects for students. Students work on a wide variety of projects for clients, and if you would like to discuss how your agency can take advantage of this opportunity, please contact the Adventure Studies Department.
Students have conducted projects such as the following:
- Writing business plans, marketing plans, or risk management plans for developing businesses
- Creating Tourism Opportunity Strategies for communities in British Columbia and South America
- Conducting adventure tourism development work in communities across Chile through annual field trips
- Programming therapeutic treatment programs for youth at risk
- Conducting surveys of the joint-venture potential between Canadian and South American adventure tourism businesses for economic development agencies
- Providing whitewater kayak instruction for secondary schools
- Many other opportunities...