Refrigeration mechanics are designated under the interprovincial Red Seal program as refrigeration and air-conditioning mechanics.
They make, install, repair and service residential, commercial and industrial cooling and heating systems. Some work in building maintenance — for example, servicing the air-conditioning systems in high-rise office buildings. Others specialize in repairing small, portable refrigeration and freezing units.
Part of the job involves measuring, cutting and connecting pipe using welding and brazing equipment. Refrigeration mechanics recharge systems with refrigerant gases as required. They also connect rooftop units to gas, test and balance systems and connect electrical systems. They must be able to use and adjust computerized controls, use computer software to calculate loads, and work on large machines. In some cases, they need to prepare work estimates for clients.
Course length: 25 weeks
- Placement on the Entry Assessment Test for Reading Comprehension, Sentence Skills, Arithmetic & Algebra tests English at an 050 level.
- Canadian citizenship, or landed immigrant status
- Students must supply own coveralls, boots, safety glasses, and gloves
- Proof of citizenship or landed immigrant status required if applicant not born in Canada
- Proof of successful reading and math pre-test results
To arrange for the Accuplacer test contact the TRU Assessment Centre at 250-828-5470. Arrangements can be made for out-of-town applicants to write the pre-test at an authorized testing centre in their community.
We are currently taking applications for the 2018/19 academic year.